try to optimize the X server

Post by Edwin La » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to optimize my x server (SVGA, millenium) for Pentium, and I
also try to take out the unnecessary server. In general, I try to make it
run faster. :-> How can I do that? Using Binary LinkKit or recompiling the
source or ...? Will it be a lot faster after the optimization? Thanks in
advance.

______________________________
Edwin Lau

______________________________

try to optimize the X server

Post by Johan Kullsta » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

EL: I am trying to optimize my x server (SVGA, millenium) for Pentium, and I
EL: also try to take out the unnecessary server. In general, I try to make it
EL: run faster. :-> How can I do that? Using Binary LinkKit or recompiling the
EL: source or ...? Will it be a lot faster after the optimization? Thanks in
EL: advance.

you'll need to recompile.

1) get the XFree86 source.   there's a server only tarball.

2) go to www.goof.com and fetch yourself a pentium gcc.  the standard
gcc releases have no pentium optimizations.

3) get a non gnu make.  XFree86 warns about gnu make.  by fiddling
with the xf86site options, i got the server to make using XFree86
version 3.2.  (still not sure what causes the forkball disaster you
can get with gnu make.)

4) if you insist on ripping out bits that don't pertain to your card,
you need to peruse the source.  good luck, let us know how it goes...

hope this helps.

EL: Edwin Lau