KDE file manager hangs

Post by Stringbe » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I messed up yesterday I can't seem to find my way out the problem.

What I was trying to do was make a new group and give that group rwx
permission to my ms-dos partition.

I made the group but when I tried to change the group ownership and
permissions in KDE's file manager it hanged on me.

I went to a virtual terminal and killed the processes, but when I
restarted X the KDE file manager window came up just like it was
before(still hung).

When trying to undo what I did I found I wasn't allowed to do what I
tried in the first place.

When I check with permissions on the ms-dos partition nothing has
changed, which is fine since linux won't allow me to change it.

There must be a file somewhere telling KDE that when it was last shut
down there was something being done that needs completed.  What file
is it? Or if I'm off base with my thinking how can I get KDE's file
manager to stop trying to change the permissions?

Thanks in advance,

Stringbean

KDE file manager hangs

Post by Stringbe » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

OK  I got the window out of the way (by pressing and holding ALT+F4
while KDE was loading).  But I am still having a problem.  I can't
access the DOS partition from KDE, I can get to it from a console
though.  What did I mess up?  And how do I fix it?

By the way, if it makes a difference, I'm using Mandrake 7.

Thanks,

Stringbean

>I messed up yesterday I can't seem to find my way out the problem.

>What I was trying to do was make a new group and give that group rwx
>permission to my ms-dos partition.

>I made the group but when I tried to change the group ownership and
>permissions in KDE's file manager it hanged on me.

>I went to a virtual terminal and killed the processes, but when I
>restarted X the KDE file manager window came up just like it was
>before(still hung).

>When trying to undo what I did I found I wasn't allowed to do what I
>tried in the first place.

>When I check with permissions on the ms-dos partition nothing has
>changed, which is fine since linux won't allow me to change it.

>There must be a file somewhere telling KDE that when it was last shut
>down there was something being done that needs completed.  What file
>is it? Or if I'm off base with my thinking how can I get KDE's file
>manager to stop trying to change the permissions?

>Thanks in advance,

>Stringbean

KDE file manager hangs

Post by Stringbea » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Never mind. I got it fixed after looking around some more and doing a little
searching on the net.

For others (and there seems to be a few) the way I got it fixed was to change
the /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab lines for the dos partition.
It was:
/dev/hde1       /mnt/DOS_hde1   vfat     user,exec,nodev,nosuid,rw,conv=auto 0 0
I changed it to:
/dev/hde1       /mnt/DOS_hde1   vfat     user,exec,nodev,nosuid,rw,auto 0 0

I don't know what the conv= did but it seemed to fix the problem for me.  I
hope this might help others too.

Talk to you later,

Stringbean