"Auth. failed." Same problem? Any solutions?

"Auth. failed." Same problem? Any solutions?

Post by Baxter Roger » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm running XFree86 under RedHat 6.1. Everything worked beautifully,
until one day Netscape crashed the X server (heh, surprise). Since then,
no user has been able to start the X server. This sounds like the same
problem a couple other people (pressman?) have had lately, but none of
the previous posts about it have helped me. Here's the message I get:

    Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
    Perhap you do not have console ownership?

xinit adds some stuff after that:

    _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
    giving up.
    xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X
server
    xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

I've tried everything suggested in the previous posts about this problem
-- I've deleted .Xauthority (startx recreates it, presumably correctly);
modified /etc/pam.d/xserver; restarted xfs, though I don't think that's
the trouble; chown $USER /dev/console; created /etc/X0hosts; gone
hunting for lock files . . .

Nothing has helped.

Incidentally (or perhaps importantly), everything works fine in runlevel
5 with xdm. It's in runlevel 3, where I prefer to start up, that all
this stuff happens. Also, I'm not even trying remote connections; this
is all happening at the machine itself.

Thanks for reading.

Baxter Rogers

"Auth. failed." Same problem? Any solutions?

Post by JT » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

From what you described, it sounds like you have problem with
MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 with xinit but not with xdm?
If so, try creating the COOKIE with the following:

randomkey='perl -e'srand;printf int(rand(100000000000000000))'
xauth add $(HOST)/unix:0 . $randomkey
xauth add $(HOST): . $randomkey

if your local display access your local server via localhost:0
(probably the case with most Linux X, as remote X features are
disabled by default in the xdm-config file.), then you will have to
add another xauth line:

 xauth add localhost:0 .  $randomkey

Finally, you will need to restart x server with

xinit -- /usr/bin/X11/X -auth $HOME/.Xauthority

You will need to have PERL on your system for the first line to work.

The first line creates a randomkey with perl's random number
generator, and all the' xauth add' stuffs inserts the cookie into the
.Xauthority file. When all this works, put them in .xserverrc and you
are done.

The reason xdm works from the console display server is because xdm
generates a magic cookie for you by default and put it in
$HOME/.Xauthority and starts the X server with the -auth
$HOME/.Xauthority option; xinit will not do that, hence all this
manual labor.

I don't quite understand the thing you have with dev/console, since
xdm bypasses getty and login, so you will have to be given ownership
of console explicitly;you will have to get pass getty and login to
start X with xinit; the result should be completely opposite of what
you described.

If you need more help, you will definitly need to seek out a local X
Window sys admin (not any UNIX  sys admin, but a real X Window sys
admin. X Window admins are in a class by themselves) that may be of
better resource than Linux groups. You have a .edu domain, your
chances of finding a genuine X WIndow sys admin are real good; most
Linux folks don't know much about X.

JT

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:09:02 -0600, Baxter Rogers