Problem installing WindowMaker in Mdk 7.2...

Problem installing WindowMaker in Mdk 7.2...

Post by Guy Parr » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:56:49

     I've installed - or thought I had - WM, but 'switchdesk' tells me
"WindowMaker not installed!".
     The WindowMaker rpm is DEFINATELY there.  Is there anything I'm
missing?  Is 'wmakerconfig' actually a part of WindowMaker?  I
installed that as well, after satisfying a dependency by installing
'lynx' as well, but still the same message.  This one's got me
scratching my head.  I have run /usr/bin/X11/wmaker.inst but I still
get told "WindowMaker not installed".  Grrr...

Post by Michael Elki » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:34:14

>     I've installed - or thought I had - WM, but 'switchdesk' tells me
>"WindowMaker not installed!".
>     The WindowMaker rpm is DEFINATELY there.  Is there anything I'm
>missing?  Is 'wmakerconfig' actually a part of WindowMaker?  I
>installed that as well, after satisfying a dependency by installing
>'lynx' as well, but still the same message.  This one's got me
>scratching my head.  I have run /usr/bin/X11/wmaker.inst but I still
>get told "WindowMaker not installed".  Grrr...

I've never used switchdesk before, but I do use the default WindowMaker that
comes with Mandrake 7.2.  To get it running as a new user, you just need to:
1) run wmaker.inst (looks like you've already done that part)
2) create a ~/.xinitrc with the following line it:
        exec wmaker
3) run "xinit" or "startx"

I've yet to have that fail.

me at sigpipe dot org

1. Problem installing WindowMaker in Mdk 7.2...

     I've installed - or thought I had - WM, but 'switchdesk' tells me
"WindowMaker not installed!".
     The WindowMaker rpm is DEFINATELY there.  Is there anything I'm
missing?  Is 'wmakerconfig' actually a part of WindowMaker?  I
installed that as well, after satisfying a dependency by installing
'lynx' as well, but still the same message.  This one's got me
scratching my head.  I have run /usr/bin/X11/wmaker.inst but I still
get told "WindowMaker not installed".  Grrr...

2. Setting up cua2 and cua3 Serial ports.

3. bash scripting tips needed

4. Trying to install WindowMaker on Mdk 7.2...

5. NAPLPS - RIP

6. dhcp works with Mdk 6.1 but NOT with Mdk 7.2

7. SUN Trunking & SUN CLuster

8. Kde2.2 install pb on Mdk 7.2 and Konqueror crash

9. NIC card problems with MDK 7.2

10. MDK 7.2 - Cups 1.1.6 authentication problem