Large X-Windows memory usage

Post by Eric J. Whitne » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:46:41

Hi everybody!

Can anyone explain why X-Windows is using 133M of RAM, even with nothing
open or running, excluding one terminal window?  Are there ways to
shrink it down?  I only discovered this after I hit the machine with a
rather large scientific application and it balked much earlier than
I thought it would.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook with a 1 Ghz PIII processor
and 256M Ram.  The video card is a GeForce 2 with 32M ram.  The
operating system is vanilla RedHat 7.1 using GNOME.  External mouse is
USB.

Anyone solved this problem before?

Any help appreciated!

Eric

Large X-Windows memory usage

Post by Christopher Brown » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:48:56

Quote:> Can anyone explain why X-Windows is using 133M of RAM, even with nothing
> open or running, excluding one terminal window?  Are there ways to
> shrink it down?  I only discovered this after I hit the machine with a
> rather large scientific application and it balked much earlier than
> I thought it would.

> The machine is a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook with a 1 Ghz PIII processor
> and 256M Ram.  The video card is a GeForce 2 with 32M ram.  The
> operating system is vanilla RedHat 7.1 using GNOME.  External mouse is
> USB.

> Anyone solved this problem before?

How do you _know_ it's consuming 133MB of RAM?

Because the (lying) ps/top commands say so?

If I were to actually _believe_ my system, I'd think that X was
consuming some 702MB of RAM on a system that only has 640MB.

The most notable thing taking place is that your graphics card RAM is
included multiple times, which would frankly account for almost all of
the memory you're reporting is in use.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/xbloat.html
"We should start referring to processes which run in the background by

Post by The.Central.Scrutinizer.nos.. » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:48:20

>> Can anyone explain why X-Windows is using 133M of RAM, even with nothing
>> open or running, excluding one terminal window?  Are there ways to
>> shrink it down?  I only discovered this after I hit the machine with a
>> rather large scientific application and it balked much earlier than
>> I thought it would.

>> The machine is a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook with a 1 Ghz PIII processor
>> and 256M Ram.  The video card is a GeForce 2 with 32M ram.  The
>> operating system is vanilla RedHat 7.1 using GNOME.  External mouse is
>> USB.

>> Anyone solved this problem before?

>How do you _know_ it's consuming 133MB of RAM?

>Because the (lying) ps/top commands say so?

>If I were to actually _believe_ my system, I'd think that X was
>consuming some 702MB of RAM on a system that only has 640MB.

You need to learn the difference between virtual and physical memory.

Post by Jon Trulso » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 05:24:18

>>>How do you _know_ it's consuming 133MB of RAM?

>>>Because the (lying) ps/top commands say so?

>>>If I were to actually _believe_ my system, I'd think that X was
>>>consuming some 702MB of RAM on a system that only has 640MB.

>> You need to learn the difference between virtual and physical memory.
> I _know_ the difference between virtual and physical memory.  And the
> system wasn't swapping, so that wasn't the issue.

        The 'problem' is that top/ps/et. al. are showing you all memory
mapped by the process.  This include the standard stuff like text/data,
but with an X server, also includes device mappings - like a mmap'd
framebuffer, MMIO region, AGP memory, etc....

--

Xi Graphics, Inc.  http://www.xig.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. Make Command missing

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. Mandrake 2.2.15, g++ 2.95.3, and C++ STL

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. xterm scrollbar on right? Or other term emulator?

7. Large Run-time Memory Usage in Apache

8. Compuserve access under Linux

9. how to get around large memory usage

10. Large memory usage with gdb and shared objects

11. Problems with large memory usage

12. X-windows problem with large images

13. memory consumption and X-windows