Annoying non-feature of Gnome

Post by steve.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Here is an annoying thing about Gnome: When I have several windows open
and I press one of the button bars at the bottom Gnome panel, the
window becomes "selected" without being raised (aka Windows '95).
This means, I have to manually raise it by pressing CTRL-ALT-{up
arrow}

Doesn't anyone find this annoying? Is there a way around this? I
checked both the Enlightenment and Gnome control panels. I want some
sort of auto-raise capability in my windows dammit!

- Steve

--------------------------------------
If you want to send me an email, send it to:
steve{at_sign}tripperjones{dot_com}

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Annoying non-feature of Gnome

Post by LF » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

What version of Enlightenment are you using?  I'm using 0.16, and I right-click the desktop and select "Autoraise settings...".  In the same right-click menu, "Focus setings..." will probably have what you want...

  Chris

Post by Mike Vo » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Here is an annoying thing about Gnome: When I have several windows open
>and I press one of the button bars at the bottom Gnome panel, the
>window becomes "selected" without being raised (aka Windows '95).
>This means, I have to manually raise it by pressing CTRL-ALT-{up
>arrow}

>Doesn't anyone find this annoying? Is there a way around this? I
>checked both the Enlightenment and Gnome control panels. I want some
>sort of auto-raise capability in my windows dammit!

Anoying?  Not at all - what I find anoying is the M$ feature(?) that
the 'focus' window MUST be on top.  There are many times I only need
to see the bottom few lines of the window I'm typing in, while
reading, or just watching another window on top.

Be thankful that X gives you the choice.  Configure it the way you
want without Redmond-Bill forcing his way!!

mike

--
 /*-------------------------------+-----------+----------------------------*/
         Do it Right,  Do it Big,  Do it with Class,  Make it Fun

 /*------------------ http://mvore.home.netcom.com -----------------------*/

Annoying non-feature of Gnome

Post by akm7 » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Here's really annoying feature -
Every time after bootup, although the "power management" is turned on
in the screen saver options (it is supposed to turn the monitor off after a while)
it never actually does so. Every time I have to go to settings and turn it off/on
- then it works, but never right away.
KDE doesn't have this feature altogether, or am I missing something?
Any suggestions?

Annoying non-feature of Gnome

Post by Peter F. Curr » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Here's really annoying feature -
>Every time after bootup, although the "power management" is turned on
>in the screen saver options (it is supposed to turn the monitor off after a while)
>it never actually does so. Every time I have to go to settings and turn it off/on
>- then it works, but never right away.
>KDE doesn't have this feature altogether, or am I missing something?
>Any suggestions?

You may need to edit your XF86Config file to tell the XServer that
your monitor supports the power_saver feature explicitly.

--
     Peter F Curran
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

"If you paid for your operating system, you probably
 paid too much for your operating system."
 ****  USE EMAIL ADDRESS IN ORG LINE TO REPLY  ****

Annoying non-feature of Gnome

Post by QuestionExchang » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hey there...
i had the same thing happen to me,, simply go to the
enlightnement control panel and there should be a setting for
autoraise, and the delay you want associated with it.
you may also have to check the box for bringing the window to
the front its easy to find in the Legacy E-Conf tool

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

1. Annoying non-feature of Gnome

I switched to KDE to solve the problem, I wish I didn't have to, I do prefer gnome
but that bug is unacceptable ...
The alternative that they have isn't much better.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

2. Spin_lock_irq help

3. new install 4.0 ISO-IMAGE: kdm problem

4. very annoying bug/feature in KDE 1.1pre

5. ppp support

6. Poll: Most annoying/unusable Solaris 9 feature.

7. Linux and Extended 0?

8. Annoying TeX feature under RedHat 3.0.3

9. Annoying media-select feature on Tulip cards; any fixes?

10. Annoying DHCP feature

11. Annoying sleep behaviour: bug or feature?

12. a really annoying feature of the config menu structure