Transparent background in xterm?

Post by Brian Christense » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I have seen some screenshots, where the xterm had a transparent (or
almost transparent) background. I would like to know how is's done. Also
I would like to know if it's posible to make other windows transparent.

I'm running RH 5.2 with KDE 1.1 and Xfree 3.3.2

/Brian - anoter new Linux user :-)

Post by T.E.Dicke » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I have seen some screenshots, where the xterm had a transparent (or
> almost transparent) background. I would like to know how is's done. Also
> I would like to know if it's posible to make other windows transparent.

the application copies portions of the root window to its own window.
so it looks transparent.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Transparent background in xterm?

Post by Andreas Schyma » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have seen some screenshots, where the xterm had a transparent (or
> almost transparent) background. I would like to know how is's done. Also
> I would like to know if it's posible to make other windows transparent.

The term you have seen is not xterm but eterm, the enlightened replacer.
It support transparency and pixmaps-backgrounds. Try checking out
http://www.enlightenment.org/download.html for more information and
downloads. It is designed to be used under enlightenment, but it should
work on most wms.

Andreas

Post by Drazen Kac » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > I have seen some screenshots, where the xterm had a transparent (or
> > almost transparent) background. I would like to know how is's done. Also
> > I would like to know if it's posible to make other windows transparent.

> The term you have seen is not xterm but eterm, the enlightened replacer.

Or aterm or wterm or rxvt.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a *ly transmitted disease.
(_  \ /  _)

Transparent background in xterm?

Post by FoulDrag » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi!

>I have seen some screenshots, where the xterm had a transparent (or
>almost transparent) background. I would like to know how is's done. Also
>I would like to know if it's posible to make other windows transparent.

There are a few programmes that support trransperence.  The ones I know of are:

-Eterm, Aterm, and Wterm, modified RXVT clones; I think new versions of RXVT
itself also do it.   These are probably the transperent Xterms you see.
-EZFM, a weird filemanager on an equally weird toolkit that's not worth the
bother.

It's NOT real transperence, as it just fills the background of the window with
some of the background [transperent windows don't overlap realistically] at
least in Eterm and Aterm.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii Dra'torrinah(Clan Nightwings)
members.xoom.com/marada   Colony name not needed in address.