NVidia driver sanity checks

Post by Soren Ragsda » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 01:19:16

I've got a problem with the NVidia drivers: they start up OK, but when
I run an OpenGL program, X locks up.  The screen doesn't draw the
items either.

Could someone please review the various checks that one should go over
when there's some strange graphics problem?

`cat /proc/nv/card0` returns reasonable messages, but is there another
way to get information about the hardware or GL layer?

Post by Greg T Hil » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 14:14:26

> I've got a problem with the NVidia drivers: they start up OK, but when
> I run an OpenGL program, X locks up.  The screen doesn't draw the
> items either.

> Could someone please review the various checks that one should go over
> when there's some strange graphics problem?

> `cat /proc/nv/card0` returns reasonable messages, but is there another
> way to get information about the hardware or GL layer?

I had the same problem, which seems to have been solved by deleteing the
/usr/X11/lib/libGL* files which conflict with the ones from NVidia in
/usr/lib. Check NVidia's site for info, but I believe I saw this on one of
the FAQ's relating to PLIB, the library used by Tuxkart, Tux: A Quest for
Herring, and FlightGear Flight Simulator. Good info on setting up 3D cards
there.

I had a very snarly few days trying to install various combinations of
Mesa, libglut, and Plib. I still have libglut which is either needed or not
not causing any problems, I'm leaving well enough alone. But Mesa _and_
NVidia's libs are definitely out.

Hope that helps
--
Greg T Hill