xdm logout problem

Post by Sebastian Bun » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
I've encountered a very strange problem when using the xdm program
either with XFree86 3.1 or 3.1.1 (latest slackware).

when I either start in my ~/.xsession file or in ~/.xession and
.fvwmrc (Exec "I" program) several programs or settings
like
xhost +someserver
xbiff
xclock
xset fp tcp/myhost:7000

and THEN either in the startup file(s) or from an xterm start
xsetroot -solid grey55 - and then select the logout on the fvwm menu:
Quit "Logout":
I can not restart the xdm! screen is black - nothing can be done
except rebooting (I can kill all xdm stuff from a telnet session
from another computer, but nothing happens anymore at the console).

I tried it with xdm, xdm -nodaemon - the same. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace works.
But NOT the logout option in fvwm.

When I only start xclock, xbiff and xterm logout works.

Any ideas how to overcome this? A bug in xsetroot ?

Thanks, Sebastian
--

;-)
Sebastian Bunka                 ph. (+43-1) 711 55 301

University of Veterinary Medicine - Vienna - Austria

1. Problem with XDM: X doesn't close programs on logout?

Hi all-

I'm having a kinda wierd problem with X and XDM - whenever a user logs
in, starts a program,
(for instance, say, Netscape) and then exits X by shutting the window
manager down,
it returns to the Xbanner login screen, but if someone else logs in and
runs top, they see the previous
applications still running (and sucking up 99% of the processor time).

Is there any way to get X to close all programs when a user logs out? or
something of the sort?

For reference, I'm running Red Hat Linux 5.0 on a 2.0.35 kernel using
XFree86 3.3.2, FVWM 2.0.46.
If you need to no anything else, let me know.

Any and all help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Pat

2. NFS errors on 2.4

3. xdm sometimes hangs on logout

4. Estec Systems

5. X11/XDM - Server hangs after second logout ...

6. Sound Blaster PCI 128

7. Xdm Failure to repaint after logout

8. Number pages is Star Office

9. xdm fails to re-start X properly after logout

10. Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?

11. Slow login/logout with XDM

12. XDM hangs my system on 2nd logout

13. xdm and auto logout