X won't pick up my video cards memory...

X won't pick up my video cards memory...

Post by pmmen.. » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have Linux 2.0.30 and tried to setup xf86config.  It recomends to
use SuperProbe.  I do this and it sees 0k of memory with 4Mb on an
attached co-processor.  I have an ATI 3D PRO TURBO with 4Mb. When I
type startx, I get an error message saying not enough memory for video
mode.  The mode is the basic 640x480. Has anyone else had a simular
proble, or can you recommend some solutions.
Thanks, Paul M

X won't pick up my video cards memory...

Post by Chris Lauda » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have Linux 2.0.30 and tried to setup xf86config.  It recomends to
> use SuperProbe.  I do this and it sees 0k of memory with 4Mb on an
> attached co-processor.  I have an ATI 3D PRO TURBO with 4Mb. When I
> type startx, I get an error message saying not enough memory for video
> mode.  The mode is the basic 640x480. Has anyone else had a simular
> proble, or can you recommend some solutions.
> Thanks, Paul M

edit the XF86Config file, it is in /etc/X11, you will find the line
(somewhere towards the end) VideoRam has # in front of it, remove
this save file and you will find all ok. This seems to be a bug in
both config programs, that this line remains hashed,

--
rgds,
Chris.

X won't pick up my video cards memory...

Post by kyle » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

XiG has a X server that supports the ATI 3D PRO TURBO in all modes and
resolutions fully hardware accelerated.  It works right out of the box and
includes unlimited tech. support via phone or email.