Mandrake 6 Diamond Speedstar A50 setup

Post by CP de la Cru » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up X on Linux-Mandrake 6.0 using the Xconfigurator
utility.  My monitor (NEC Multisync 3FGe) and video card (Diamond Speedstar
A50) are selected on the utility menus.  However, X does not start properly,
with the screen changing to black for several seconds (with the "X", then
mouse pointer in the center of the screen and a tiny cluster of colored
pixels near the top of the screen) and then changing back to the set-up
screen reporting a X config error.  This happens whether I specify
video-card "Probe", or manually specify SVGA 8-bit 640x480.  If I force a
"startx", the desktop comes up but everything is on a black background with
no labels, and bubbles on icons come up black, and the desktop is unusable.

I have tried to use xf86config but I get the same problem.  This way, I can
toggle between resolutions, but I only have icons without labels on a black
background.  Also, my Genius NetMouse Pro pointer stays at the top edge of
the screen and only moves to the right.  I chose either PS2 or
Microsoft-compatible for my mouse protocol, but is this the right one?

The PC has a Celeron 300A overclocked at 450Mhz on a BH-6 motherboard with
128MB.  LILO default is set to DOS-Win98, which comes up fine in 1024x768
24-bit true color.  Any recommendations?

When replying by email, please remove leading "J" from my email address.
Thanks.

1. RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

I got this new machine with a Diamond Speedstar A50 (8MB) and a KDS
VS-19sn monitor. I tried to install RH linux 6.0 on it , everything
seems to be going fine till I reach the X installation. I choose the
card from the card database with the right chipset. I am prompted not to
select any clock chip settings so I don't. The monito isn't listed in
the monitors database so I choose custom. Enter the frequencies
manually. The next screen tells me that Xconfigurator will test my
settings and the screen blinks (which the prompt tells me is normal)
after that I the screen goes blank with only the mouse cursor visible
which can be moved. The Xconfigurator comes back to tell me that I have
some problems with my configuration and takes me back to the monitor
definitions. I have tried it will all the choices listed in the monitors
database but still the same.

So I weent ahead with the faulty X config and completed the
installation. Now when I run startx it the X server starts but most of
the GNOME screen has no colours, but I can see parrts of it eg: the
toolbar at the bottom.

Any suggestions what I should do ?? New to Linux, and the exp till now
has been terrible.

Thanks
-Altaf

2. My boot disk says LI... nothing more.

3. Diamond SpeedStar A50 AGP: X setup problem

4. /proc/cmdline broken since 2.4.19

5. AGP Diamond Speedstar A50 Setup Problem, need help

6. Term colors aren't right after upgrade to 1.3.x

7. Diamond Speedstar A50 ok XFree86 3.3.3.1, NG XFree86 3.3.5

8. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

9. Diamond Speedstar A50 SIS6326: Works, but no text or cursor!

10. Diamond Speedstar A50

11. Diamond SpeedStar A50 XFree86 support?

12. XF86Config for Diamond Speedstar A50?

13. Diamond SpeedStar A50 AGP