Problems with SPEA Mirage P64 and MAG PA17S

Problems with SPEA Mirage P64 and MAG PA17S

Post by Bas Klei » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Does anyone have the following hardware running XFree86 3.1 or XFree3.1.1:

    MAG PA17S (of DX17F) monitor
    SPEA Mirage P-64 videocard

If so, I would be very interested in your XFConfig, because I can seem to
get my setup in good working order.

Here is what I have done so far: I have installed XFree86 3.1 through
Slackware Pro 2.1 (setup). Then I went to work on my XFConfig. I
encountered three problems:
  1. There was no preconfigured MAG PA17S (or MAG DX17F), so I had to
     improvise a bit on the Modelines in my XFConfig. I managed to

     recognized as such by my monitor.
        Q: does anyone have any more Modelines (that leave my screen in
           one piece)?
  2. There seems to be a problem when I enter 'startx', because the
     startup video mode is not the one I specified. After hitting
     [Ctrl][Alt][+] a couple of times the video mode the right one.
     Apperently this has something to do with the ICS2595 Clockchip
     and this bug is documented in the S3-docs.
        Q: Has this problem been fixed in XFree86 3.1.1?
  3. When I typed 'startx -bpp 16' my monitor suddenly displayed a very
     unhealthy looking screen that clearly indicated a refresh rate
     that was to high.
        Q: How is this possible and how do I solve it?
So if anyone has the answers to these questions or is running XFree86
3.1/3.1.1 on my configuration, please follow-up or send me a mail.

  Thanks in advance, Bas Kleijn

My setup:
- MAG PA17S screen and SPEA Mirage P-64 card.
- Pentium 90MHz on Intel-PLATO PCI motherboard with 8Mb RAM with
  EIDE controller, ATAPI CDROM, IDE HD and various other irrelevant facts...
- Linux kernel 1.2.5 and XFree86 3.1

 
 
 

Problems with SPEA Mirage P64 and MAG PA17S

Post by Harald Koen » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Quote:>Does anyone have the following hardware running XFree86 3.1 or XFree3.1.1:

>    MAG PA17S (of DX17F) monitor
>    SPEA Mirage P-64 videocard

get XFree86 3.1.1 for this card!

Quote:>  2. There seems to be a problem when I enter 'startx', because the
>     startup video mode is not the one I specified. After hitting
>     [Ctrl][Alt][+] a couple of times the video mode the right one.
>     Apperently this has something to do with the ICS2595 Clockchip
>     and this bug is documented in the S3-docs.
>        Q: Has this problem been fixed in XFree86 3.1.1?

jep, that's the reason I suggested 3.1.1 ;-)

Quote:>  3. When I typed 'startx -bpp 16' my monitor suddenly displayed a very
>     unhealthy looking screen that clearly indicated a refresh rate
>     that was to high.
>        Q: How is this possible and how do I solve it?

no idea so far, test 3.1.1 first (never heard about such problems).
if this still happens with 3.1.1, please send the server output in 16bpp mode
and your config file. btw, you need to use

        startx -- -bpp 16

to start 16bpp mode (man startx!).

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
24 hours prior to complete hardware failure!      <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
Harald Koenig,                                         \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik                              //  /     \\  \


 
 
 

1. Problem with SPEA Mirage P64 VL

Hi!

I've trouble switching between XFree86 and the virtual consoles with my
SPEA Mirage P64 VL (Vision 864). If I start linux with vga=3 in the lilo.conf
(which means 132x43) it works, but after starting X11 and switching back to
a console or just killing X11 I get a blank screen and my monitor tells me
that the signal is out of range. The only thing which helps is rebooting :-(
BTW, vga=normal works without any problems.
Who knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks and bye,
Bernd

2. Correct usage of system call?

3. Q: SPEA Mirage P64 PCI: Clockchip problem

4. Kernel compiling problems

5. Problems with Spea Mirage P64

6. Performance/Behavior with Oracle?

7. Problems with Adaptec 1542CF/Spea Mirage P64

8. repost: Mail variable

9. Problems with SPEA Mirage P64 and 16bpp

10. SPEA Mirage P64 (PCI)?

11. XConfig for SPEA Mirage-P64 S3-Trio

12. XF86Config for Spea Mirage P64 needed

13. REQ:X-Config for SPEA Mirage P64 PCI