HELP: backspace & del not mapped correctly under X

HELP: backspace & del not mapped correctly under X

Post by Jason Templ » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Greetings,
    I have set up a system (actually 7) with X, and I would like to
have the backspace and delete keys working properly under X.  Now I
know I am opening a can of worms when I say `properly', but it was my
notion that backspace deletes the char to the left of the cursor,
whereas the del key deltes under the cursor.

Currently they both delete to the right for applications such as
netscape (entering urls), but work fine for xterms.  Is there a way to
get the consistent behavior described above for all apps under X??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

jas

Jason Temple

Post by Mark Ha » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:     I have set up a system (actually 7) with X, and I would like to
: have the backspace and delete keys working properly under X.  Now I

the following in my .xinitrc works fine for me:
        xmodmap -e "keycode 22=BackSpace" &

regards, mark hahn.
--

                                        http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/

HELP: backspace & del not mapped correctly under X

Post by Raymond E. Roger » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I think there was a very explicit article in the Linux Journal
recently.  Something I have wanted for some time.  The diagram showing
who gets what key assignments from where reveals all of the
eccentricities.

Enjoy
Ray

HELP: backspace & del not mapped correctly under X

Post by Raymond E. Roger » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I think there was a very explicit article in the Linux Journal
recently.  Something I have wanted for some time.  The diagram showing
who gets what key assignments from where reveals all of the
eccentricities.

Enjoy
Ray

1. Need help switching DEL & BACKSPACE keys

Our communal computer room has just gotten in several Sparc IPC's.
The keyboards (Model 5's) are annoyingly set-up whereby the BACKSPACE
key just above the RETURN key gives "^H" when you hit it.  To delete,
you have to reach over to the DEL key at the upper-left hand corner of
the mini-keypad that's to the right of the main keyboard area.  Is
there some way to reverse the settings of the keys to make the keyboard
into a more user-friendly format?

I'm currently using OpenWindows, and somebody I had talked to had heard
about using some sort of dot-file in X-Windows to accomplish this task.

--
*Ka Chun Yu               * Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy       *

*         --or--          * University of Colorado,  Boulder, CO 80309        *

2. BeOS & Soundblaster Live!

3. Want BackSpace not DEL? HELP@

4. Getting XF86_FBDev to work, HELP!

5. Backspace/Del mapping in Linux.

6. 16 bits SCSI and Adaptec AHA-294X

7. backspace, del keys mapping

8. SUID games? What is RedHat doing?

9. BACKSPACE & DEL keys on remte systems

10. Netscape -- backspace/del keys not working

11. backspace & del

12. Error while executing bash script (DEL/BACKSPACE not working)

13. stty erase backspace & del???