Voodoo3 3000 PCI and XFree86 4.02

Post by RJone » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:15:34

Hi,

I've been trying to get the accelerated mode working with the new version
of XFree86.  I did have it working in the 3.3.5 version, using the
modified SVGA server supplied by 3dfx.

I've since updated the kernel to 2.2.18, and compiled in DRI support for
the 3dfx card.  The config file appears to be loading the DRI modes and
it seems to be responding.  I went through a walk thru provided on one of
the DRI websites, but they only listed how to check if it was working,
and not how to fix it if a particular step wasn't working.

Thinking the kernel option may provide other features that the xfree
source may need, I recompiled xfree again.  After updating, I checked the
directory /usr/X11/lib/modules/dri to see if the tdfx.o driver was created.
No luck.

I was trying to get Quake3 working... that doesn't want to work under
4.02.  I also loaded Quake2, I've run it using just the softx mode which
is ok for 640x320 mode, but up the mode to 800x600 or 1024x720 ... choppy
as hell.  I tried changing the the Video option to 3dfx... but it just
dies.

I also tried running other games that require OpenGL...

Can someone help shed some light on what I may be doing wrong, or point
me to a site that will help me configure the new XFree 4.02 to work with
the accelerator in the Voodoo3 card.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Budman

1. (XFree86 4.0) voodoo3 3000 agp displays "garbage" in quake3

I just upgraded to XFree86 4.0 from 3.3.6 to fix a problem with my
voodoo3.  When I start quake3 the screen looks like pieces of the
desktop and quake3 mixed together to create an unusable display.
Instead of the voodoo3 displaying "garbage" after exiting a game (as it
did in v 3.3.6), now it just displays the game as "garbage".    I have
found no references to this problem, and I need help, any would be
greatly appreciated.

paul

2. JOB-MA-Linux Kernel Device Drivers

3. Voodoo3 3000 AGP with XFree86 4.01: help needed

4. Netscape v3.01 cause BUS ERROR

5. Voodoo3 3000 and XFree86

6. Detecting TCP ack?

7. Voodoo3 3000 PCI with OptiQuest V75

8. ipchains and Yahoo Messenger Voice

9. Voodoo3 XFree 4.02 Quake 3 help please it kills the X server

10. XFree86 4.02 on Dell Latitude C600

11. XFree86 4.02

12. Could Someone Tell Me How To Uninstall XFree86 4.02

13. Geforce2/XFree86 4.02 on SuSE 7.0 question