xdm not honoring shadow password aging/expiry ?

xdm not honoring shadow password aging/expiry ?

Post by Gary Anders » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Running Xfree86-3.1.2, and xdm compiled for shadow password support.
Using a username on my machine with an 'expired' password, xdm merrily
allows the login.  However, sitting at the same machine, and instead
using a virt. console to login, expiration is properly observed by the
shadow login program, and I get a 'Your password is inactive...' error.

'Bug'?  or 'Feature' ?   ;-)

Gary

1. HELP: NIS w/shadow password and password aging, etc

I would like to enhance password security on three master NIS servers (each with a different vendor's flavor of unix; IBM AIX, SGI IRIX, and SUN OS).  My fantasy is to implement shadow passwords along with password aging, and password checking as is available with the npasswd program from UTEXAS.  I would like users to be able to change their NIS password from any NIS client, while at the same time guaranteeing that the passwords will comply with any npasswd style rules implemented.  Also, as some users never log into the NIS master, notification of expired passwords would also have to be proprogated to the NIS clients.

Is this possible?

Thank you,
Jim Byrnes
Departments of Chemical and Mechanical Engineering
Center for Composite Materials
University of Delaware

2. errlog not valid

3. XFree86 v1.3, SLS 1.02, xdm does not use shadow password file

4. Motif 1.1.3 : What is *REALLY* involved?

5. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

6. Ensoniq SOundscape PnP

7. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

8. Automounted home/CDE login problem

9. Password Aging and Shadow File

10. XDM vs. password aging

11. Password Aging with NIS and xdm