Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

Post by Michael Whal » Sun, 27 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Greetings,

First of all, I have retrieved the Busmouse-HOWTO and actually read it.
I have verified that my old Microsoft 2 button inport bus mouse is at
irq5.  I do have a file /dev/mouse linked to /dev/inportbm.  I have
played with and modified XF86Config per the aforementioned HOWTO.  I
can run X with the same hardware with my ISC Unix 3.2 and X.  And I
cannot get any result from running 'startx' with slackware Linux other
than 'cannot open mouse, no such file or directory.  If anyone has the
'no brainer' answer to this problem PLEASE pass it along.  I would even
be gratefull for the answer with an accompanying flame if it makes you
feel better. :-)  Thanks for any input you can offer.

Michael :-)

Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

Post by Phil Howa » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

| First of all, I have retrieved the Busmouse-HOWTO and actually read it.
| I have verified that my old Microsoft 2 button inport bus mouse is at
| irq5.  I do have a file /dev/mouse linked to /dev/inportbm.  I have
| played with and modified XF86Config per the aforementioned HOWTO.  I
| can run X with the same hardware with my ISC Unix 3.2 and X.  And I
| cannot get any result from running 'startx' with slackware Linux other
| than 'cannot open mouse, no such file or directory.  If anyone has the
| 'no brainer' answer to this problem PLEASE pass it along.  I would even
| be gratefull for the answer with an accompanying flame if it makes you
| feel better. :-)  Thanks for any input you can offer.

So far there seems to be a severage shortage of information on rodents.

So far I don't get anything out of my mouse, either.  It's supposed to
be connectable to aux or serial.  It works on aux on another machine.
And the serial ports works OK.  Togetehr they don't.  Nothing, and I
do mean nothing, happens.  No data.

Too bad the HOWTO was specific to just a subset of mice.
--
Phil Howard KA9WGN      | ++++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++++
Unix/Internet/Sys Admin | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++

Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

Post by Joshua P. Wea » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

        Make sure that you are not running gpm ( I think that
is what it is called).  Check your /etc/rc/rc.d (Sorry, I'm
not in linux so that may not be correct) and comment it out
if it is there.
        If X says something to the effect that the device
is in use this is probably the problem.

Josh

--  Second Year Mechanical Engineering Student                --

Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

Post by Omeg » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> | First of all, I have retrieved the Busmouse-HOWTO and actually read it.
> | I have verified that my old Microsoft 2 button inport bus mouse is at
> | irq5.  I do have a file /dev/mouse linked to /dev/inportbm.  I have
> | played with and modified XF86Config per the aforementioned HOWTO.  I
> | can run X with the same hardware with my ISC Unix 3.2 and X.  And I
> | cannot get any result from running 'startx' with slackware Linux other
> | than 'cannot open mouse, no such file or directory.  If anyone has the
> | 'no brainer' answer to this problem PLEASE pass it along.  I would even
> | be gratefull for the answer with an accompanying flame if it makes you
> | feel better. :-)  Thanks for any input you can offer.

Well, here's what I ran into:  I have an unknown brand mouse connected to
my ATI Graphics Ultra.  That card comes with a utility called
"INSTALL.EXE".  It lets you set various things, including re-programming
various video card and *mouse* configuration things.

I found that my mouse would only work (with DOS/Windows that is) on the
Secondary Address (238-23a), not the Primary Address (23c-23e).  To solve
that, I just went through all the files in .../include/linux relating to
mice and subtracted 4 from the related port values.  Recompiled with
every possible mouse driver (excluding any obvious ones, like serial and
PS/2), and it worked fine.

XF86Config has it set up to use a "Busmouse" at "/dev/atibm", but your's
should be different unless you have the exact same setup.

Hope that helps,
                ewalt

  __

_\  /_          Benson Polytechnic: "The nation's finest technical school!"

Just my two (des)cents...   http://www.bensonhs.pps.k12.or.us/descent/