How to force a window to always stay on top?

How to force a window to always stay on top?

Post by David L. Johnso » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:07:09

I would like the window that has my clock displayed to be always on top, so I
can always see the time.  It's xdaliclock, currently set transparent, and
borderless, so the numbers are all I see, but I'd really like it to always
rise to the top as well -- not to grab the input focus, of course, just to
stay on top of every other window.

I'm using debian-2.2 with Open Motif-2.1.30 -- I have 2.2 but have not yet
installed it, if that matters.

Any hints?

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
 _`\(,_  | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

How to force a window to always stay on top?

Post by ne.. » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:02:51

Quote:> I would like the window that has my clock displayed to be always on top, so I
> can always see the time.  It's xdaliclock, currently set transparent, and
> borderless, so the numbers are all I see, but I'd really like it to always
> rise to the top as well -- not to grab the input focus, of course, just to
> stay on top of every other window.

> I'm using debian-2.2 with Open Motif-2.1.30 -- I have 2.2 but have not yet
> installed it, if that matters.

> Any hints?

Yes, what window manager/desktop environment are you using?
This is what is pertinent. Motif isn't.

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest

Post by David L. Johnso » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:22:24

> > I would like the window that has my clock displayed to be always on top, so I
> > can always see the time.  It's xdaliclock, currently set transparent, and
> > borderless, so the numbers are all I see, but I'd really like it to always
> > rise to the top as well -- not to grab the input focus, of course, just to
> > stay on top of every other window.

> > I'm using debian-2.2 with Open Motif-2.1.30 -- I have 2.2 but have not yet
> > installed it, if that matters.

> > Any hints?
> Yes, what window manager/desktop environment are you using?
> This is what is pertinent. Motif isn't.

Oh, sorry, I left that off.  mwm -- which is why I mentioned Motif.  No
"desktop environment", cde or whatever, just the window manager.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
 _`\(,_  | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

1. Fvwm2rc: "StaysOnTop" doesn't always stay on top?

Is there a way to get StaysOnTop to always stay on top?

I have the StaysOnTop style for my pager but I'm always able to get
another window on top of it. I need the pager to ALWAYS stay on top.

I really don't need all the features fvwm has so any other minimalist
window manager with such a pager would do fine - I'm currently using
Fvwm2/FvwmPager.

-Tony

2. Major Meltdown with Linux SCSI!

3. Q: How to force an X window to stay open ?

4. Booting problem

5. Any way to make GTK+ Dialog Window stay on top?

6. IP chains

7. ezppp window stays on top of everything

8. FTP client for Solaris

9. Howto have an always on top window

10. X11 Window "always on top"

11. On Flux Box, Is there a way to make a window always on top?

12. Newbie: HDD light always stays on after installing my compiled Kernel v2.4.19.

13. Why my print job always stay in spool?