XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Stephan » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

How do I make XDM launch X with the -bpp 32 switch ?

 I adjusted the startx-script vor usage on the prompt,
 but I can't seem to find how XDM launches 'X'.

Anyone ?

Thnx ;)

Signed,
 - Myth

---------------------------------------
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who it decides to make friends with.

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Rouat man » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> How do I make XDM launch X with the -bpp 32 switch ?

>  I adjusted the startx-script vor usage on the prompt,
>  but I can't seem to find how XDM launches 'X'.

> Anyone ?

On my redhat system, the xdm script that launches X is
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (I think - it's in the same directory anyway)

It's a one liner - I just added -bpp 16 (32 for you) at the end of
the line.

You could also just edit your XF86Config file, and state 32 as your
default color depth (man XF86Config for details)

manu

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Didier Duboi » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I try to configure a Linux box for end users.
I'd like Linux to boot wiht xdm.
Seems ok for me but I have a few questions:

- How could I set the bpp to 32 (with startx it's easy, but didn't find it with xdm)
- When I start xdm, I have not the variables in "/etc/profile"  "$PATH,..."
    - Why "/etc/profile" is not executed by xdm?
    - How can I do this?
    or - Where is the configuration file of XDM where I can change "$PATH,..." and friends?
- Xbanner? is there something better? Can I change "xlogin",... ??????
- Where Can I find howtos,...  for X startup? (easier to read than man pages, I mean.)

Thanks a lot.
Didier.

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Tim B. Laurse » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I try to configure a Linux box for end users.
> I'd like Linux to boot wiht xdm.
> Seems ok for me but I have a few questions:

> - How could I set the bpp to 32 (with startx it's easy, but didn't find it with xdm)

You could take the big leap, and edit your 'XF86Config' file, and remove
all other bit depths than 32.

Quote:> - When I start xdm, I have not the variables in "/etc/profile"  "$PATH,..."
>     - Why "/etc/profile" is not executed by xdm?

When you run 'startx' you are running a bash shell in the console, and
therefore your '/etc/profile' has already been executed. 'xdm' is
usually not run from a shell, so no 'PATH' variable has been set up.

Quote:>     - How can I do this?

You can insert the 'export PATH=...' in your '.xsession' file.

--
Tim Laursen

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." -
  "When you have their full attention in your grip,
  their hearts and minds will follow."
                                         Terry Pratchett

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Roy Stogn » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> - How could I set the bpp to 32 (with startx it's easy, but didn't find it with xdm)

>You could take the big leap, and edit your 'XF86Config' file, and remove
>all other bit depths than 32.

NO, NO, NO!

I hope nobody is really removing functionality from their X setups just
to get xdm working.

"man XF86Config"
/DefaultColorDepth
---
Roy Stogner

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Roy Stogn » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I try to configure a Linux box for end users.
>I'd like Linux to boot wiht xdm.
>Seems ok for me but I have a few questions:

>- How could I set the bpp to 32 (with startx it's easy, but didn't find it with xdm)

With startx you're encouraged to take the easy way out - I was even putting
alias x24="startx -- -bpp 24"
in people's /etc/profile files before I knew better.

In the "Screen" section of your XF86Config file that is used by your server,
add the line "DefaultColorDepth   32".

Quote:>- When I start xdm, I have not the variables in "/etc/profile"  "$PATH,..."
>    - Why "/etc/profile" is not executed by xdm?

xdm isn't a login shell, so doesn't source .bash_profile, /etc/profile, or
any of those.

Quote:>    - How can I do this?

Run "export PATH=/bin:/sbin:yaddayaddayadda" or "source /etc/profile" in
your Xsetup or other config script.

Quote:>- Xbanner? is there something better? Can I change "xlogin",... ??????

You can run whatever you want - "xv -root -quit background.jpg" might be
fun.  "nice xlock -inroot" would be neat.

I don't know how to change xlogin, but I'm sure there's a way.

You may also want to look at kdm, a reputedly prettier xdm replacement.
---
Roy Stogner

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Zailong Bia » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

see /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers..add -bpp 32 after that line...

> >> - How could I set the bpp to 32 (with startx it's easy, but didn't find it with xdm)

> >You could take the big leap, and edit your 'XF86Config' file, and remove
> >all other bit depths than 32.

> NO, NO, NO!

> I hope nobody is really removing functionality from their X setups just
> to get xdm working.

> "man XF86Config"
> /DefaultColorDepth
> ---
> Roy Stogner

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by N.R.Brui » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I try to configure a Linux box for end users.
> I'd like Linux to boot wiht xdm.
> Seems ok for me but I have a few questions:

> - How could I set the bpp to 32 (with startx it's easy, but didn't find it with xdm)

The command xdm uses to start the X-servers it manages are (for redhat
at least) in /etc/X11/xdm.
The file X-servers has a line
:0 local X
(or something like that)
Add -bpp 32 to it. MUCH better than editing your config.

Quote:> - When I start xdm, I have not the variables in "/etc/profile"  "$PATH,..."
>     - Why "/etc/profile" is not executed by xdm?
>     - How can I do this?
>     or - Where is the configuration file of XDM where I can change "$PATH,..." and friends?

There's a whole bunch of configuration files for xdm, named in the
resources in xdm-config.
Xsetup is executed when the login-widget is displayed
Xstartup is executed when a succesful login has been done.
Quote:> - Xbanner? is there something better? Can I change "xlogin",... ??????

For what I have seen, you can only partially change the appearance of
the login-widget. What I've done myself is leave out the
xlogin*greeting, turn off xlogin*border, changes the font to helvetica &
the background to gray. Then I added a tcl-script to Xsetup that
displays a fancier login-screen (together with buttons for shutdown,
reboot and runlevel 3) which puts itself BEHIND the login-widget. The
grays melt together, giving the appearence of a single, 3d tcl/tk style
login-widget.
The Xstartup-script is the place to kill the extra widget.
The possibilities for added functionality are limited, since xdm grabs
the keyboard for safety, so you can only communicate through buttons
etc.

Quote:> - Where Can I find howtos,...  for X startup? (easier to read than man pages, I mean.)

OK, the manpage of XDM looks a bit intimidating at first, but stick with
it. It does explain exactly the sequence XDM goes through. Just skip the
sections you don't understand the first time. If you come to the end and
still don't know what you wanted, go back. It's how I learned to
configure xdm.

hope this helps.

nils

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Peter B. Wes » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi all,

> > I try to configure a Linux box for end users.
> > I'd like Linux to boot wiht xdm.
> > Seems ok for me but I have a few questions:

Quote:> > - When I start xdm, I have not the variables in "/etc/profile"  "$PATH,..."
> >     - Why "/etc/profile" is not executed by xdm?
> >     - How can I do this?
> >     or - Where is the configuration file of XDM where I can change "$PATH,..." and friends?

The best place to source your profiles when running xdm is in the
.xsession file in your home directory.  Just include
[ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile
[ -f $HOME/.profile ] && . $HOME/.profile

at the top of .xsession (which should rpobably be a link to .Xclients).

Quote:> There's a whole bunch of configuration files for xdm, named in the
> resources in xdm-config.
> Xsetup is executed when the login-widget is displayed
> Xstartup is executed when a succesful login has been done.
> > - Xbanner? is there something better? Can I change "xlogin",... ??????
> For what I have seen, you can only partially change the appearance of
> the login-widget. What I've done myself is leave out the
> xlogin*greeting, turn off xlogin*border, changes the font to helvetica &

N.B. - these resources are defined in Xresources, or whatever file is
named as the DisplayManager*resources resource in xdm-config.  You can
only change the messages, the colours, the border width and the position
and size of the widget.  I suppose it depends on what you want to do.  I
just use Xbanner and a series of jpg's which I have converted to xpm's
using ImageMagick.  I tile the root screen with one of these images
selected at random.

Quote:> the background to gray. Then I added a tcl-script to Xsetup that
> displays a fancier login-screen (together with buttons for shutdown,
> reboot and runlevel 3) which puts itself BEHIND the login-widget. The
> grays melt together, giving the appearence of a single, 3d tcl/tk style
> login-widget.
> The Xstartup-script is the place to kill the extra widget.
> The possibilities for added functionality are limited, since xdm grabs
> the keyboard for safety, so you can only communicate through buttons
> etc.

> nils

Yours faithfully,
--

   /     http://www.uq.net.au/~zzpwest
  /    "Master, to whom shall we go?"

XDM - 32 Bit color

Post by Victor Wagn » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: > >     - Why "/etc/profile" is not executed by xdm?
: > >     - How can I do this?
: > >     or - Where is the configuration file of XDM where I can change "$PATH,..." and friends?

: The best place to source your profiles when running xdm is in the
: .xsession file in your home directory.  Just include
: [ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile
: [ -f $HOME/.profile ] && . $HOME/.profile

Are you sure that user profiles never have something which outputs something
sensible to screen? Or some commands which depends on controlling terminal?

I'l suggest adding

line

exec </dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1

just before sourcing of profile and run xconsole from Xsetup_0 script.

Note also that .xsession is executed by /bin/sh, so you are in trouble
when /bin/sh is real sh, not link to bash and profile is set up for bash.
You are also in trouble if users are using csh as their login shell.

probably something like

exec $SHELL $corresponding_version_of_xssession
would be even better, but I'm not sure , does xdm set SHELL env. var from
/etc/password. (I've no csh lovers on my system).
[...]

: >
: >
: > nils

: Yours faithfully,
: --

:    /     http://www.uq.net.au/~zzpwest
:   /    "Master, to whom shall we go?"

Institute for Commerce          Office:7-(095)-333-2022
Engineering                     Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Programmer                      http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus

1. X Apps using color tables running on 32 bit color

I need info on how Linux (maybe this is a generic X win question) allows
apps to run that use XAllocColors and color tables.  The problem that I
have is this X app (motif really, hosted on another platform, using
Linux as the display) is requesting some colors, but refuses to run when
the display is my Linux box.  The XAllocColors call fails to allocate
the needed number of colors.  At first, I thought that maybe it has a
problem because my Display had a color depth of 32 bits, and was
confusing the app.  Changing the color depth in XF86Config to 8 bits
didn't work either.

Anyone know of a good web resouce that discusses X color problems?

Thanks,
Larry Richardson

2. cdda2wav producing bad .wav files?

3. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

4. SCO Security services?

5. XDM with 32 bit display

6. FOLLOWUP: Solaris 2.3 login: No directory!

7. Setting X to display in 16, 24, and 32 bit color mode.

8. Script for my IP

9. TNT and 32 bit color

10. 24/32 bits color w/ Stealth 3D

11. How to boot into X with 16/24/32 bit colour?

12. GeForce DDR in 32-bit color?

13. 16/24/32 bit color in X - How?