Problem with Netscape

Post by John D. Man » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm having trouble with Netscape for XFree86/KDE.
When I use newsgroups, it doesn''t save my subscribed newsgroups,
meaning that I have to subsribe for each Netscape session...
Also, when I try to save a picture from a Netscape News binary
post, it doesn't save the actual image...It saves the whole post.
I then edited the post, removing all the extraneous info, and used
uudecode on the resulting file, which should work, right? Well, it
still doesn't quite decode the binary...Any answers?
Thanks...

-Lord Sil

Problem with Netscape

Post by Gene Hesket » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to John D.;

uuencode/uudecode are NOT the default MIME binary encoder/decoder in
use.  Base64 is the name of the utility if you're running it by itself,
but its usually contained as a subroutine in the MIME capable mailer or
newsreader itself.

Base64 is a considerably more robust method, although it does have its
roots in the basic idea of uuencode.

Bear in mind that getting a properly MIME'd transmission is something
that IE has yet to get right.  The list of MIME breakers also includes
some of our government agency's apparently home brewed net software too
as those posts that claim to be MIME'd by about half of what comes out of
the FCC are suffiently broken as to be un-recoverable by a truely MIME
compliant newsreader. EMails to the agency regarding it have so far gone
un-noticed.

 JDM> I'm having trouble with Netscape for XFree86/KDE.
 JDM> When I use newsgroups, it doesn''t save my subscribed
 JDM> newsgroups, meaning that I have to subsribe for each Netscape
 JDM> session... Also, when I try to save a picture from a Netscape
 JDM> News binary post, it doesn't save the actual image...It saves
 JDM> the whole post. I then edited the post, removing all the
 JDM> extraneous info, and used uudecode on the resulting file, which
 JDM> should work, right? Well, it still doesn't quite decode the
 JDM> binary...Any answers? Thanks...

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Problem with Netscape

Post by Brian Walto » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I'm having trouble with Netscape for XFree86/KDE.
> When I use newsgroups, it doesn''t save my subscribed newsgroups,
> meaning that I have to subsribe for each Netscape session...
> Also, when I try to save a picture from a Netscape News binary
> post, it doesn't save the actual image...It saves the whole post.
> I then edited the post, removing all the extraneous info, and used
> uudecode on the resulting file, which should work, right? Well, it
> still doesn't quite decode the binary...Any answers?
> Thanks...

> -Lord Sil

I had the same problem, I needed to create the directory that I chose
for the news reader portion in the "Edit --> Preferences --> Mail and
Newsgroups --> News Servers"  page.

Brian

1. Problems with Netscape 4.6x and Netscape 4.7x

Hello.

I am having a few problems with Netscape Communicator, and I recently bought
Redhat 62 Professional Edition. While I purchased this edition to take
advantage of the numerous networking applications within, I had also hoped
that the upgrade would solve my Netscape communicator problems that had
ocurred when I was using Redhat 6.2 Deluxe Edition.

Now, I get down to describing my problems.

At some point during the period that I was running Netscape Communicator 4.6
on Redhat 6.1, the browser suddenly hanged for several minutes after being
started up when I was working offline. I subscribe to a dial-in internet
service. After those few minutes, the home page, which was a file on the
local harddisk would load. Communicator 4.6 setup with the initial
installation of Redhat 6.1

Ever since that event, the same thing occurs everytime I start up
Communicator.

Ive got other communicator problems too. For instance, Communicator crashes
when the Java 1.2.2 plugin from Blackdown has been installed, as it does
with the Macromedia Flash 4 plugin.

In an attempt to solve these problems, I uninstalled all the Netscape RPMs,
and deleted the /usr/local/netscape directory. Then I reinstalled all the
Netscape RPMs that go with Communicator and reconfigured everything.

The above problems remained.

I once again uninstalled all the Netscape RPMs and installed all the RPMs
associated with Navigator 4.6, and tried again.  The first problem ceased.
But the latter two problems remained.

The upgrade to Redhat 6.2 Professional did not bring about improvement in
the above situation.

I need to view sites with Flash 4 content and run Java applets on my Linux
machine, but am unable to do under present conditions.

Would you please advise on the solution to my Communicator problems.

Regards.

Kelvin

2. Elsa Microlink USB + KPPP

3. Mouse problem with X & News problem with Netscape

4. uudecode.

5. Problem with Netscape/Linux v.2.4.x [repeat] (MTU problem??)

6. swap file?

7. Problems with Netscape and FTP - DNS problem?

8. Can't open /dev/dsp!

9. svga problem and netscape problem..

10. FTP downloading problems with Netscape

11. Ftp problems with Netscape from unix server

12. Problem with Netscape 3.6 Server with "#" URLs

13. Problem with Netscape 4.75 on Solaris 8 SPARC?????????????