hda: dma_intr: status=0x51

Post by Charlie Der » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a RH5.0 distro and I finally got KDE up and running this morning
and during the second use (where I figured how to get at Netscape
Communicator and so was busy multitasking my but off) it seemed to
freeze up (though it did eventually exit).   When KDE finally exitted
the screen showed that there seemed to be an error accessing the
harddisk.  When I tried to reboot (I had to shut the machine off in the
middle of it's trials and tribulations as I couldn't seem to wrest
control back from some data seek) it made it through about 1/3 of the
boot sequence (right after partition check and VFS (VMS?)) before
erupting into:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete Error}
hda: dma_intr: error=0x01 {AddrMarkNotFound}, LBA block=427725,
sector=16398
hda: disabled DMA
ide0: reset:success
hda: dma_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {UncorrectableError},  LBA block=427725,
sector=16398

and on and on and round and round it goes without me doing anything.

I'm suspicious that my drive may have developed a bad sector, but I
thought I'd check here to see if it could be anything related to KDE and
netscape combining to confuse my harddisk (I have 4.04 version of
Communicator and it has crashed fvwm on occasion in the past)

In the event that it is may be a physical problem with the harddrive, I
have a bootable debian distribution installed on a partition of another
harddisk in the same machine, so I could presumably mount and check this
disk from there.  Anyone know the command I would use (the unix
equivalent of "scandisk") to check the integrity of the drive?

Thanks so much in advance,
        Charlie

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51

Post by Uwe Bonne » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[...]

"{UncorrectableError}" is a bad sector.

If you still have warrenty on the drive, get it replace. Otherwise
replace the disk.

Bye