boot up sequence??

Post by EXCHANGE:CRK:5T » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hi there, i have a question. i am new to linux but am quite familiar
with solaris. i have RH5.2 and i just installed it.

(i) could anyone out there tell me what the boot up sequence is...
meaning what is the order that the files get executed when linux starts
and what each file does (for tcsh and bash shells).

(ii) also... what is the executed file sequence when starting up
x-windows and what does each file do (preferably afterstep since that is

what i use).

i know this is a lot to ask... but it will be very helpful for anyone
that is new or quazi-new to the linux environment. Thanks alot.

boot up sequence??

Post by Chris Gree » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> (ii) also... what is the executed file sequence when starting up
> x-windows and what does each file do (preferably afterstep since that is

Under RedHat the X window manager startup is (in my opinion) an
impenetrable jungle.  If however you install your ouwn .xinitrc and
(maybe) .Xclients then it's more standard.

If you run startx (which in turn runs xinit) then the standard thing is
for the X server to execute what it finds in .xinitrc which in some cases
points on to .Xclients. So, being simple, you put the applications you
want, each with an & after them to background them and finish off with
afterstep without an & after it.  Then when you exit from afterstep it
drops off the end and X stops (unless you're using xdm).

--

  WWW: http://www.isbd.co.uk/

boot up sequence??

Post by Sasch » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > (ii) also... what is the executed file sequence when starting up
> > x-windows and what does each file do (preferably afterstep since that is

> Under RedHat the X window manager startup is (in my opinion) an
> impenetrable jungle.  If however you install your ouwn .xinitrc and
> (maybe) .Xclients then it's more standard.

> If you run startx (which in turn runs xinit) then the standard thing is
> for the X server to execute what it finds in .xinitrc which in some cases
> points on to .Xclients. So, being simple, you put the applications you
> want, each with an & after them to background them and finish off with
> afterstep without an & after it.  Then when you exit from afterstep it
> drops off the end and X stops (unless you're using xdm).

> --

>   WWW: http://www.isbd.co.uk/

  And the linux startup:

First xinit is executed. In redhat (and SuSE) it looks in /etc/rc.d/rc<runlevel>.d/ for services to
start. Each one with an S at the beginning means execute while startup with a start-option with a K
at the beginning execute at leaving the runlevel with a stop-option. After that rc.local is executed
and you come to the login. Then it depends on the shell defined in the /etc/passwd. Bash executes
the /etc/profile. In this file is normale an entry to execute the /home/<user>/.bash_profile. This
file executes the ~/.bashrc

In profile go: systemwide enviroments and definitions
.bash_profile: personal enviroments and definitions
.bashrc: aliases and functions

Hope that helped

Sascha

boot up sequence??

Post by G. Frank Paynte » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Klement,

You are right, that *is* a lot to ask :)

If you look in /etc/rc.d/ subdir, you will find a bunch of subdirs labelled
rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, etc, all the way up to rc6.d.  The numbers represent
the run levels Linux uses (level 3 is network-enabled but w/o X, level 5 is
network-enabled with X, etc).  If you look in one of these subdirs (say
rc5.d), you'll find a bunch of filenames starting  with Kxx & Sxx.  The K
stands for 'Kill', and the 'S' stands for 'Start'. If you then do 'ls -alF'
on the subdir, you will find that all the files are actually just links to
executable scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/.   When you bootup your RH Linux
system, all of the 'Sxx' files in rcx.d (where x is the target runlevel) are
run, in numerical order.   For instance, I have my system set to boot into
level 3 (see the /etc/inittab file and look for a line that looks like
"id:X:initdefault" to see your default runlevel), then the following
initialization scripts run, in the order shown:

S01kerneld
S10network
S11roadrunner
S15nfsfs