Millenium & fixed freq monitor

Post by Thilo Salmo » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to drive an Hitachi 4619 (the c model) using a matrox millenium
and XFree86's 3.2a server which supports sync-on-green by now. I'm lucky to
own a fixed frequency card based on some Trident chipset, but unfortunately
this cards is dying on me. Thus, my first idea was to copy my old modeline
and simply try it with the matrox card.

Now, when I plug in my new card, it seems like the monitor manages to sync
vertically, since the picture is not scrolling. However, it looks like
it's not recognizing the horizontal signal as I can see my screen three
times. It looks a bit like every third line is horizontally shifted by the
same amount. (I really hope you guys understand me here...). I played a bit
with this modeline, but my problem won't vanish (which is no suprise - I had
no clue what I was doing). Do you have an idea what I could try?

Here's the line:

ModeLine "1024x768" 65  1024 1024 1267 1351  768 768 796 809 -hsync -vsync

The cable I'm using came with my old card and has 4 BNC connectors. The
Hitachi monitor supports external composite sync as well as sync on green.
I figured I can reuse this cable by not connecting the composite sync line,
since the matrox will supply this signal on the green line. Is this true?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Ciao
  Thilo
--

1. SVGATextmode with Matrox Millenium & hm4119 fixed freq. monitor

Anyone has gotten the SVGATextmode to work with the systems mentioned above?
I'll be first to admit that I just don't know the procedure to set the
pixel clock on this video card.

from the output from clockprobe, I get the feeling that the clock frequency
isn't set to proper frequency.  Here's the output from 2 of the modes that
failed to work; actually all the modes failed to work!

Horizontal frequency is set to 61-65 KHz
Vertical Refresh is set to 60-66 Hz

ClockProg constantly gives me an error if enabled.

Notice that grabmode and clockprobe frequencies do not agree!

mode 1 output begins here:
The SVGATextMode config file is configured as `standard VGA' by default.
This is highly sub-optimal on modern VGA cards.
Edit the TextConfig file for your VGA card to enable the many extra features.
(and then you can also get rid of this message...).

SVGATextMode NOTE:
You may remove the `SyncDisks' option from the TextConfig file
once SVGATextMode proves to work reliably on your machine.
This will make SVGATextMode run much faster.

Chipset = `VGA', Textmode clock = 71.17 MHz, 114x54 chars, CharCell = 8x16.
Refresh = 61.78kHz/66.0Hz.
SVGATextMode: Syncing disks...
clockprobe: Estimated vertical scanrate = 23.239 Hz.
clockprobe: Estimated horizontal scanrate = 21.752 kHz.
clockprobe: Estimated pixel clock = 25.06 MHz
"114x54"   25.059   912 912 1008 1152   864 870 885 936   -Hsync -Vsync
font 8x16   # 21.752kHz/23.24Hz

mode 2 output begins here:
The SVGATextMode config file is configured as `standard VGA' by default.
This is highly sub-optimal on modern VGA cards.
Edit the TextConfig file for your VGA card to enable the many extra features.
(and then you can also get rid of this message...).

SVGATextMode NOTE:
You may remove the `SyncDisks' option from the TextConfig file
once SVGATextMode proves to work reliably on your machine.
This will make SVGATextMode run much faster.

Chipset = `VGA', Textmode clock = 70.00 MHz, 102x60 chars, CharCell = 8x16.
Refresh = 64.34kHz/62.8Hz.
SVGATextMode: Syncing disks...
clockprobe: Estimated vertical scanrate = 25.704 Hz.
clockprobe: Estimated horizontal scanrate = 26.321 kHz.
clockprobe: Estimated pixel clock = 28.64 MHz
"102x60"   28.638   816 832 952 1088   960 986 990 1024   -Hsync -Vsync
font 8x16   # 26.321kHz/25.70Hz

end of output.

James

2. Help with Linux (Proxy / Print Server)

3. Mirage Storm S-968 video & Fixed Freq. Monitors

4. Broken pipe error from NES 3.5.1

5. Monitor Timing for IBM 5081 Fixed Freq. Monitor.

6. Linux EXE?

7. Help - need X-config for 5081 Fixed Freq monitor.

8. Sendmail & Fetchmail weirdness

9. X not working with fixed freq card/monitor

10. XF86Config (for X312G) and fixed freq monitor?

11. Need help: fixed freq monitor

12. Linux w/ fixed freq. monitors

13. Fixed Freq. Monitor DEC VR299....HELP!!