netscape 2.0.beta.b4, poor pic quality

Post by Ming L » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I download the netscape 2.0.beta.b4.  It works, but the picture quality
is poor comparing with the netscape 1.12.  Could somebody enlighten me
how to solve this problem?  Thanks in advance.

Post by Mike Roman » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I download the netscape 2.0.beta.b4.  It works, but the picture quality
> is poor comparing with the netscape 1.12.  Could somebody enlighten me
> how to solve this problem?  Thanks in advance.

Try running it with a -install to let netscape install it's color map.
Works great for 8 bit displays.

Mike Romans

netscape 2.0.beta.b4, poor pic quality

Post by Raymond Scott Felle » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: >>
: >> I download the netscape 2.0.beta.b4.  It works, but the picture quality
: >> is poor comparing with the netscape 1.12.  Could somebody enlighten me
: >> how to solve this problem?  Thanks in advance.
: >
: >Try running it with a -install to let netscape install it's color map.
: >Works great for 8 bit displays.

: Is it just me, or does it seem like netscape only uses about 30 colors
: in the map, even with the -install option?  I'm running X in 8-bit mode.
: I had an xearth background sitting when I started netscape with the
: -install option.  It grabbed all the colors changing the xearth bg almost
: all black, then proceeded to use only a fraction of those colors (the bg
: stayed mostly black).

: By comparison, netscape on the SGI and Windows (both 8-bit) looks beautiful
: even without the -install option.  Is there something I'm missing?  I've
: tried playing with the image options to no avail.

This just sounds like poor programming on Netscape's part. The graphics
look pretty good in v1.12 at 8bpp w/o a private colormap. They managed to
'break' this feature in v2.0beta. Since my hardware forces me to use
8bpp, I'm just resigning to use v1.12 until Netscape fixes this.

   Raymond Fellers                      |       |    |  |\  |  |  |  \ /
     The Saykally Research Group        |       |__  |  |  \|  |__|  / \
       Laser Spectroscopy/VdW Clusters  |

Post by John H. K » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> I download the netscape 2.0.beta.b4.  It works, but the picture quality
>> is poor comparing with the netscape 1.12.  Could somebody enlighten me
>> how to solve this problem?  Thanks in advance.

>Try running it with a -install to let netscape install it's color map.
>Works great for 8 bit displays.

Is it just me, or does it seem like netscape only uses about 30 colors
in the map, even with the -install option?  I'm running X in 8-bit mode.
I had an xearth background sitting when I started netscape with the
-install option.  It grabbed all the colors changing the xearth bg almost
all black, then proceeded to use only a fraction of those colors (the bg
stayed mostly black).

By comparison, netscape on the SGI and Windows (both 8-bit) looks beautiful
even without the -install option.  Is there something I'm missing?  I've
tried playing with the image options to no avail.
John H. Kim         The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one

1. CAN'T TERMIFY NETSCAPE 2.0 b4....HELP

I can't seem to termify the new version of Netscape (2.0 b4). Well, it does
termify and produce a "termnetscape" binary but it doesn't run.

I get the message "Unused signal" when trying to run termnetscape!?!?

Does anyone have any clue as to why this is? Is Netscape 2.0 b4/5
not supposed to work with term? Termify does work with Netscape 1.1N though.

The Netscape 2.0b4 binary is roughly 4 MB, considerably bigger than 1.1N...
does termify have any limitations w.r.t. file size?

I would really appreciate any help!!! I really miss using Term and can't
bear working with Slirp for much longer.

Help...Bill

2. Add a lover to your life...

3. Netscape Graphics: Poor Quality

4. Exam