1. Should I buy a new video card?
I am hoping that some of you out there will help me decide
if I should buy a new video card for my computer or just
add more VRAM.
I have an IBM/PS1 computer that is 2 years old & came with
a generic type monitor. IBM did not include any technical
information about the monitor so I called them & this is
what I have managed to find out:
They first said that the horizontal sync rate is 31.5 & the
vertical is 60/70. Then they told me that it if the vertical
was 56.3 the horzontal would be 35.7, if the vertical is 60
the horizontal is 37.9 & if the vertical is 70 the horizontal
The video card is at ET4000 with 512K of memory. From the playing
around that I have done, I have determined that 40 is the largest
dot clock that I can use.
My goal is two-fold: Occupy the full screen & have no flicker.
Right now I am using a variation of the 800x600 resolution but the
flicker is horrible. If I go to 640x480 the flicker is tolerable
but I don't get to use all of my screen space. From what I can tell,
the higher resolutions lead to more screen area being used.
My monitor can handle 1024x768 but it will be interlaced. I don't
have enough video ram for that right now.
I have the ability to add another 512K of VRAM. Then I would be able
to get the higher resolution. But I was playing with the figures &
if I have to use the 40 dot clock then at the higher resolutions the
refresh rate will basically suck rocks. Does the interlacing have
anything to do with that? Would I get more benefit by purchasing a
video card (like ATI's Graphic Expression with 1 meg ... I think it is
a Mach64 card) with an accelerator? I certainly can't afford to buy a
I would appreciate any words of advice.
2. How to set an account with has all other services except telnet/ssh
3. Buying new computer. what video card?
4. Help request on two apache web server on Linux....
5. Buying a new video card for Linux?
6. memory leak?
7. im buying a new video card..
8. Umm....... Hello.
9. Why buy new video when 3D's are coming?
10. Buying a new video card...
11. Buying a new video card for Linux?
12. Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?
13. Buying a new video card...