Video problems, so I'm buying a new card this weekend !

Post by J Knig » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

>I'm using redhat 5.2 (I will upgrade soon to 6.0), and I've had a ton
>a video problems with a trident card (never worked) and a S3 virge
>card (work, but had a lot of artifacts on the screen).  What card can
>I buy that will work without a lot of problems.

>It's got to be a PCI card.

>thanks

>peter

What problems did you have with the S3 virge? I just got a S3 virge DX
(4 mb) and it seems to work fine.
Anyhow, the sysadmins in our department seem to like the S3's and the
Diamond Vipers.
...Jason

Post by Swietanowski Artu » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

> I'm using redhat 5.2 (...)  What card can
> I buy that will work without a lot of problems.

(1) Matrox Millenium,
(2) ATI Xpert (at Work or Play) -- these are the ones I have, both
    PCI and AGP.

HTH,

Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Video problems, so I'm buying a new card this weekend !

Post by Alberto Arbel » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

Are you using a Trident 3Dimge 9750 ?
If so, I can tell you how I got it working under RedHat 6.0 with 800x600
32bit.
Bye,
Alberto

> I'm using redhat 5.2 (I will upgrade soon to 6.0), and I've had a ton
> a video problems with a trident card (never worked) and a S3 virge
> card (work, but had a lot of artifacts on the screen).  What card can
> I buy that will work without a lot of problems.

> It's got to be a PCI card.

> thanks

1. Should I buy a new video card?

I am hoping that some of you out there will help me decide
if I should buy a new video card for my computer or just
add more VRAM.

I have an IBM/PS1 computer that is 2 years old & came with
a generic type monitor.  IBM did not include any technical
information about the monitor so I called them & this is
what I have managed to find out:

They first said that the horizontal sync rate is 31.5 & the
vertical is 60/70.  Then they told me that it if the vertical
was 56.3 the horzontal would be 35.7, if the vertical is 60
the horizontal is 37.9 & if the vertical is 70 the horizontal
is 56.

The video card is at ET4000 with 512K of memory.  From the playing
around that I have done, I have determined that 40 is the largest
dot clock that I can use.

My goal is two-fold:  Occupy the full screen & have no flicker.

Right now I am using a variation of the 800x600 resolution but the
flicker is horrible.  If I go to 640x480 the flicker is tolerable
but I don't get to use all of my screen space.  From what I can tell,
the higher resolutions lead to more screen area being used.

My monitor can handle 1024x768 but it will be interlaced.  I don't
have enough video ram for that right now.

I have the ability to add another 512K of VRAM.  Then I would be able
to get the higher resolution.  But I was playing with the figures &
if I have to use the 40 dot clock then at the higher resolutions the
refresh rate will basically suck rocks.  Does the interlacing have
anything to do with that?  Would I get more benefit by purchasing a
video card (like ATI's Graphic Expression with 1 meg ... I think it is
a Mach64 card) with an accelerator?  I certainly can't afford to buy a
new monitor.

I would appreciate any words of advice.

Thanks!

Julie

2. How to set an account with has all other services except telnet/ssh

3. Buying new computer. what video card?

4. Help request on two apache web server on Linux....

5. Buying a new video card for Linux?

6. memory leak?

7. im buying a new video card..

8. Umm....... Hello.

9. Why buy new video when 3D's are coming?

10. Buying a new video card...

11. Buying a new video card for Linux?

12. Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

13. Buying a new video card...