starting x at specific color depth

Post by John Thomps » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to start x at a specific color depth other than
those chosen with "Xconfigurator?"  I have x set up and running
sweetly at 16-bit color and 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution.  My
son, however, has decided he want to play Doom on this machine.
Like a good parent, I told him the only way he would play Doom on
this machine was if he did it in linux.  Now Doom complains that
it only runs in 256-color mode (8-bit). Is there a command-line
parameter I can pass to x to start it in this mode when he wants
to play Doom so I don't have to change my own preferred settings?

Email replies preferred (I'll be on the road and unable to follow
the newsgroups closely).

Thanks...

starting x at specific color depth

Post by Oliver Hings » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Try this:
startx -- -bpp 8

That should do the trick !

Oliver the Linux Kid

> Is it possible to start x at a specific color depth other than
> those chosen with "Xconfigurator?"  I have x set up and running
> sweetly at 16-bit color and 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution.  My
> son, however, has decided he want to play Doom on this machine.
> Like a good parent, I told him the only way he would play Doom on
> this machine was if he did it in linux.  Now Doom complains that
> it only runs in 256-color mode (8-bit). Is there a command-line
> parameter I can pass to x to start it in this mode when he wants
> to play Doom so I don't have to change my own preferred settings?

> Email replies preferred (I'll be on the road and unable to follow
> the newsgroups closely).

> Thanks...

1. How to set color depth using GNOME starting as GDM?

hello,

I just installed GNOME. When I try to start it as

$startx  -- -bpp 24

where my .xinitrc is like this:

------------
#!/bin/bash
panel &
exec gnome-wm
------------

It comes up, but it sort of not working right.  But When I start
it by typing 'gdm' and then select 'gnome' as the session to use,
then it works better (I can now see all the icons up, does not
crash as much, etc..., I suspect when I use my .xinitrc I have a
wrong path somethere, and it is picking an old gnome on my disk?
not sure, but when I start it as gdm, I am using root account, and
that does not have the problem)

Any way, this is not the problem, I can just type 'gdm' and startup GNOME,
my question is that it seems to default to 8 bits per pixel in this case,
and I want to run it at depth 24 instead.  not sure how to do that.

I looked at /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/gdm.conf for a place to set this,
but can;t seem to see it.

any idea?

thanks!
pete

2. Shell variable $-, what is this?

3. ?-( how to set color depth in GNOME (started with GDM not startx)

4. Where to modify PATH, MANPATH

5. Default colour depth in Xfree86..how to change when X starts automatically at boot?

6. 2940

7. Starting X with different color depth

8. Linux On Compaq Presario 2200

9. starting x in different color-depths

10. Starting xdm in higher color depth ?

11. NewbieQ: color and color depth

12. Colour/color depth

13. Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?