Default Virtual Resolution?

Post by Ted » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

X is loading up with a default virtual resolution of 300x200. All of the
Virtual resolutions in XF86Config are commented out, so I am out of ideas.
Does anyone know what I should do. Where are the default virtual
resolutions assigned? Please help.

Thanks,
Ted

Post by Codifex Maximu » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> X is loading up with a default virtual resolution of 300x200. All of the
> Virtual resolutions in XF86Config are commented out, so I am out of ideas.
> Does anyone know what I should do. Where are the default virtual
> resolutions assigned? Please help.

> Thanks,
> Ted

Need more info: What distro are you using, your video card, monitor?

I'll assume you are using RedHat 5.x.
Make sure you have at least the 16color XServer installed. I'd also install
the SVGA XServer too.
cd /etc/X11
ls -l
# Which server does X point to?
# If it's VGA16 then you will get 16 color service.
# If it's SVGA you have a few more choices.
Xconfigurator
# Enter proper information about your hardware.
# Select your desired resolution.
startx
# Try using CTRL,ALT,+ to change resolutions.
# CTRL,ALT,BKSPC to abort X.

My guess is that you don't have the proper XServer installed and you aren't
putting in the correct information about your hardware.  Sometimes, it
requires a little experimentation with Horiz and Vertical sych rates - BEWARE
of entering values that are outside of your monitor's capabilities as you may
damage your hardware.

Use at least XFree86 3.3.1 - RedHat has an Errata page that includes updates
to XFree86 for both additional functionality and increased security
compliance.

Good luck!
Codifex Maximus

Post by Theekshan » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Ted

your xserver may be using a different configuration file. If you are using
xmetro server, then it is using a different file...mmm...  if  I remember it
correctly, it is Xmetroconfig.... but I haven't used it for quite some time.
If your changes to the config file doesn't apply the server, you're probably
using a different config file. you can check the name of your running server,
by looking at the link of the X in /usr/X..../bin/ . The link of X should show
you the exact server name. Using this, try to find your config file.

ticks

> X is loading up with a default virtual resolution of 300x200. All of the
> Virtual resolutions in XF86Config are commented out, so I am out of ideas.
> Does anyone know what I should do. Where are the default virtual
> resolutions assigned? Please help.

> Thanks,
> Ted

1. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

Hi,
Does someone know if it is (or is not!) possible to change both the
screen resolution AND the virtual screen resolution at the same time
with the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus/Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus keystrokes? I
typically run at 1024x768 but would like to be able to change to 800x600
or 600x480, but without getting the "scrolling" virtual screen as a side
effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Max.

2. Korn shell does not run its own profile files??

3. Virtual Resolution? Virtual Window?

4. (no subject)

5. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

6. NYC LOCAL: Noon Monday 3 September 2001: Rally to Free Dmitry Sklyarov

7. Changing default X resolution globally.

8. Almost connected (drops ppp connection)

9. Default screen resolution

10. Default Screen Resolution

11. How do you change default resolution in X?

12. Default resolution

13. default console font/resolution