ATI Mach64 story?

Post by Dick Repas » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'd like to ask what the story is on the ATI Mach 64 video boards.  I just
bought Red Hat Linux 3.0.3, and I'm poised to buy a machine to run it.  Mach
64 boards are supposedly supported under Red Hat 3.0.3, which is based on
linux kernal 1.2.13.  I've read the HOWTO's posted at sunsite, and I've
seen that all ATI Mach 64 boards are supported at 8bpp and that only some
RAMDACS are supported at higher dot clocks and deeper depths.  I picked up a
list of those RAMDAC's from the Mach64 web page at www.XFree86.org so
that I should be able to get an appropriate board.  Yet, I see a number of
posts to this group by people who can not get their ATI Mach64 boards to work
and who are told that they need to upgrade to 3.1.2D of XFree86.  What's up?
Why are these people having problems?  Should I avoid an ATI Mach64 board?
Will I actually be able to find a board with a RAMDAC listed on the
Mach64 page at the Xfree86 website?

Thanks,

Dick

ATI Mach64 story?

Post by Webmaste » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I'd like to ask what the story is on the ATI Mach 64 video boards.  I just
> bought Red Hat Linux 3.0.3, and I'm poised to buy a machine to run it.  Mach
> 64 boards are supposedly supported under Red Hat 3.0.3, which is based on
> linux kernal 1.2.13.  I've read the HOWTO's posted at sunsite, and I've
> seen that all ATI Mach 64 boards are supported at 8bpp and that only some
> RAMDACS are supported at higher dot clocks and deeper depths.  I picked up a
> list of those RAMDAC's from the Mach64 web page at www.XFree86.org so
> that I should be able to get an appropriate board.  Yet, I see a number of
> posts to this group by people who can not get their ATI Mach64 boards to work
> and who are told that they need to upgrade to 3.1.2D of XFree86.  What's up?
> Why are these people having problems?  Should I avoid an ATI Mach64 board?
> Will I actually be able to find a board with a RAMDAC listed on the
> Mach64 page at the Xfree86 website?

If you are unable to find a card with one of the RAMDACs listed as supported
in the XF86_Mach64 server you're probably out of luck. I have an ATI Mach 64
card w/ 2MB DRAM, unfortunately I don't now what is it's RAMDAC, clockchip,
etc. and I'm not much of a hardware wizard, so I was unable to get X11R6 running.
I used the xf86config program to create config file, and after I run X it
says: 'mode NNNNxNNN needs vertical refresh rate of XXX, deleting', for every mode
in the config file, and then I get a black screen and can't even kill the X
w/ Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

I really thing one of the major reasons why many ppl don't like Linux is that
they like Windows and are unable to get XWindows running. You have to be a
hardware tech to know all the clocks/chips/whatever info to set it up.
That's what ppl like in MS-Windows...the plug and play thing.

I would appreciate any help/input on the mach64 cards...I'd really like to have
X running (well, I have the VGA version running).

ATI Mach64 story?

Post by Steve F » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>> I'd like to ask what the story is on the ATI Mach 64 video boards.  I just
>> bought Red Hat Linux 3.0.3, and I'm poised to buy a machine to run it.  Mach
>> 64 boards are supposedly supported under Red Hat 3.0.3, which is based on
>> linux kernal 1.2.13.  I've read the HOWTO's posted at sunsite, and I've
>> seen that all ATI Mach 64 boards are supported at 8bpp and that only some
>> RAMDACS are supported at higher dot clocks and deeper depths.  I picked up a
>> list of those RAMDAC's from the Mach64 web page at www.XFree86.org so
>> that I should be able to get an appropriate board.  Yet, I see a number of
>> posts to this group by people who can not get their ATI Mach64 boards to work
>> and who are told that they need to upgrade to 3.1.2D of XFree86.  What's up?
>> Why are these people having problems?  Should I avoid an ATI Mach64 board?
>> Will I actually be able to find a board with a RAMDAC listed on the
>> Mach64 page at the Xfree86 website?
>If you are unable to find a card with one of the RAMDACs listed as supported
>in the XF86_Mach64 server you're probably out of luck. I have an ATI Mach 64
>card w/ 2MB DRAM, unfortunately I don't now what is it's RAMDAC, clockchip,
>etc. and I'm not much of a hardware wizard, so I was unable to get X11R6 running.
>I used the xf86config program to create config file, and after I run X it
>says: 'mode NNNNxNNN needs vertical refresh rate of XXX, deleting', for every mode
>in the config file, and then I get a black screen and can't even kill the X
>w/ Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
>I really thing one of the major reasons why many ppl don't like Linux is that
>they like Windows and are unable to get XWindows running. You have to be a
>hardware tech to know all the clocks/chips/whatever info to set it up.
>That's what ppl like in MS-Windows...the plug and play thing.
>I would appreciate any help/input on the mach64 cards...I'd really like to have
>X running (well, I have the VGA version running).

it really isn't that big a deal to ftp the new driver. to compare and
complain windows vs linux seems to me to be a tad disconnected from reality.

ATI Mach64 story?

Post by Peng Heng, LI » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Did you try doing a "find" on one of the Motif include files? ...

Thanks George.  I just did what you mention on Sunday morning (Singapore
time).  I have not got my programme compiled (some syntax errors about
multiple definition of three of my variables), but at least I got all the
libraries and includes right.  The includes and libraries I used goes like
this:

gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -o <Program> <Object files to bind> \
  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXt -lX11

Thanks + Regards,  __    ____  __  __  "Discipline is remembering what
P e n g  H e n g, (  )  (_  _)(  \/  )    you want       - D Campbell"
Fax: 65 467 5424   )(__  _)(_  )    (  http://www.np.ac.sg:9080/~lph2/

ATI Mach64 story?

Post by Jeroen van Veldhuiz » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: What I am still stuck at:  I am doing a part-time MSc with my local
: university and I needed the above to work on X and Motif programming.  I
: couldn't get the gcc compiler to locate my X libraries (libXt, libXm &
: libX).  Any nice folks around who is reading this can give me some pointers
: - your effort would be most appreciated.

In /etc/ld.so.conf should be a path to all the libs where you
store libraries, /usr/X11R6/lib should be in there. Secondly, is
there a symlink /usr/include/X11 to /usr/X11R6/include? That should
solve the include problem. Include files can then be called by
#include <X11/some_X_includefile>

Good luck.

have a smiley: :+( punched nose, hurt
Computational Physics: I think the computer understands it,
        now I want to understand it!

ATI Mach64 story?

Post by Lim Peng He » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello, from Singapore.

Quote:>In /etc/ld.so.conf should be a path to all the libs where you
>store libraries, /usr/X11R6/lib should be in there. Secondly, is
>there a symlink /usr/include/X11 to /usr/X11R6/include? That should
>solve the include problem. Include files can then be called by
>#include <X11/some_X_includefile>

>Good luck.

Thanks for the tip.  I have solve this problem with the following line:

gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -o <Program> <Object files to bind> \
  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXt -lX11

However, now I am facing another one.  Readers please pardon my ignorance
and any assistance would be deeply appreciated.  After I got my gcc linker
to build up my executable, upon execution the system return me this message:

  can't resolve symbol 'XShapeQueryExtension'

I have not check what you propose above, I will do so when I get home and
see if it could address this new problem.  In the beginning I suspect there
was an error in my code, but I have since confirm that it is a system error
message: I typed in a short Motif program from a reference book, compiled it
sucessfully and upon execution, the same message appeared.

As I said before, any comments/assistance would be most appreciated.

Regards,           __    ____  __  __  "Discipline is remembering what
P e n g  H e n g, (  )  (_  _)(  \/  )    you want       - D Campbell"
Fax: 65 467 5424   )(__  _)(_  )    (  http://www.np.ac.sg:9080/~lph2/

1. ATI Mach64 story?

well...it isn't? I thought I have the latest version...now what's the
current latest version and where can I find it? And will it fix the
problem? I installed yesterday a x86 solaris on another computer, and
I think of deleting linux and installing solaris on my machine too.
Solaris configured OpenWindows without asking much questions.

2. Dual boot Windows Nt and Sun Solaris

3. ATI Mach64 PCIQ: ATI Mach64 PCI, Xwindow problems ?

4. Is LINUX for me?

5. ATI Mach64 with ATI 264CT graphics controller and X-windows

6. Compiling apache with apache

7. ATI Fury with X server [SUCCESS STORY]

8. what is ssh ?

9. X with ATI Mach64 VT ??????

10. Does Linux support ATI Mach64 card in non-accelerated mode

11. XF86 & ATI Mach64

12. ATI Mach64 X-config help???

13. ATI Mach64 and XFree86