RE : XDM shutdown - getting a console

Post by Kevin Korb O » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

  Another thing you can do is leave your system at run level 5 and run
xdm from your rc.local file.  If you run it as a background process (xdm &)
you will get all of your text consoles and xdm.
                                           Kevin

: >How do I shut down XDM and obtain a normal text based login.  If I log in as root and kill the xdm process I am returned
: >to a text shell , but the keyboard does not respond and I can only do a ctrl-alt-del.
: >

: Tom,

: I don't know a way of getting a login prompt after shutting
: down XDM, although I wonder whether it could be done from
: within the rc.4 file (where 4 is the runlevel which starts
: XDM on boot?).  You could try putting a login line after
: the xdm line, thus when the xdm process is killed you would
: get a login prompt (see 'man login').  I'm not saying this
: will work, mind you, it's just an idea.

: You could also switch to the free console using Alt-F6
: after X has been killed.  By default for the runlevel
: which starts xdm there is a single spare console set up
: on Alt-F6 or Alt-F7.  You can login there.

: I kill xdm using Ctrl-R from the xdm login prompt - much
: easier than having to login as root and kill it. Check
: the xdm resources in /usr/lib/X11/xdm and see whether
: you have this bound in - you need cpp in order to parse
: the resource file though.  If you have customised your
: login then you will have already been through this
: process, most likely.

: The number of consoles set up is determined by the lines
: in /etc/inittab - check the lines relevant to runlevel
: 4 and modify some others to include runlevel 4 if you
: want more consoles when X runs.  Note though, that
: more consoles = more resources.

: Alternatively, you could log in as root in the spare console
: after shutting down X and do a 'telinit 5'.  This takes
: the machine to runlevel 5, and I think it starts all
: consoles specified in inittab for that runlevel (defaults
: to 6 consoles).

: I hope this helps.  If you need any clarification of these
: points give me a buzz.

: Charlie

1. Getting users to show up 'on console' with xdm logins under Solaris 2.5

I would like a user that logs into one of our workstations from the xdm
authentication widget to show up as on the console in the output from
w and finger, so the following were added to GiveConsole:

        sessreg -a -l console $USER </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1
        touch /dev/console

The problem is that this does not work consistently.  Has anyone else tried
to do this?  Have you been successful?  What needs to be donw to make this
work?

Thanks,
Dan Ehrlich

--
Dan Ehrlich - Systems Analyst - PSU Computer Science and Engineering
"Universities should be safe havens where ruthless examination of realities

2. Problem with VIA AC97 PCI Sound card

3. Shutdown doesn't work from X/XDM

4. AMD hangs AIX 3.1.5 and 3.1.7

5. HELP - want to shutdown from XDM !!

6. Shutdown Problems

7. Shutdown in Xdm?

8. How do I prevent tcsh from displaying /etc/motd?

9. Shutdown from xdm

10. How to setup xdm to have messages seen when shutdown?

11. xdm problems - can't shutdown

12. FREE CODE: xdm Shutdown Button

13. How to shutdown from XDM?