Black Screen, White Square, Help!

Post by Eli Kan » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Help!

I am running Debian Linux 1.3.1 with kernel 2.0.29

I have installed Xfree86 3.3.x and have the following problem:

Running the graphical XF86Setup program works fine until it tries to
restart the server. I get only the top left quarter of he screen and the
mouse freezes. I can still use the keyboard and have gotten it to save
the configuration.  Typing startx to run X results in a black screen
with a small white square. Just above that is a frozen x pointer that
then changes to an I bar. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the
server.

The mouse is a Micro$soft two button, the video card is a #9 Imagine 128
series II with 4M VRAM. The monitor is an Optiquest, horizontal 30-85,
vertical 50-120.

I have tried configuring using the SVGA server as well as the I128
server with the same results. I have specified plain 640x480 with the
default clock settings.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance,

Eli

------------------------------
Eli Kane
Assistant System Administrator
Computing Research Lab, NMSU

------------------------------

Here are the settings from my XF86Config file:

Section "Files"
    RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/75dpi
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "Microsoft"
    Device    "/dev/mouse"
    BaudRate    1200
    Emulate3Timeout    50
    Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifiier    "Primary Monitor"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    ModelName    "Unknown"
    HorizSync    31.5
    VertRefresh    60
    ModeLine    "640x480"    25.18 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Primary Card"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    BoardName    "Number Nine Imagine I-128 Series 2 (2-4MB)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver    "Accel"
    Device    "Primary Card"
    Monitor    "Primary Monitor"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    16
        Modes    "640x480"
        Viewport    0 0
        Virtual    640 480
    EndSubSection
EndSection

--

Black Screen, White Square, Help!

Post by Eli Kan » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Well, I thought I had the latest 3.3.1 version, but after re-installing it,
now it works OK (minus a few other config problems I am dealing with).
Thanks for any thought put into this.

Eli

------------------------
Eli Kane
Assistant System Administrator
Computing Research Lab, NMSU

------------------------

1. Console-Screen-Blanking: black chars on white screen

Hi,

I'm doing a lot of my work on the Linux console. Used to that good old
ASCII-Terminals I looked for a utility that would give me black
characters on a white screen. I found setpalette from Koen Gadeyne's
SVGATextMode-Packackage (thanks Koen). The following ioctl's along
with a proper setting of kernel_palette do the job:

    fd = opentty("/dev/console");
    if (ioctl(fd, GIO_CMAP, kernel_palette))
    if (ioctl(fd, PIO_CMAP, kernel_palette))

But there is one disadvantage: The routines for screen blanking simply
make everything show up with the background's color. This gives me a
blanked screen, which is really paperwhite :-(

Any hints ?

Gerd

2. cheap alpha's - look no further

3. Multi-user CDE blinks black and white with no screen, HELP!

4. Backup solutions

5. Screen blanker (Black iso White)

6. Wtd. past issues of Linux Journal

7. X loads, mouse works..but just a black& white screen

8. Shutdown sequence question

9. Why Screen saver is white not black?

10. X loads, mouse works..but just a black& white screen

11. X-term screen color -> white on black

12. Sol9: CDE: how to flip dtterm to white on black, yellow on black, ...?

13. Soln: Mouse pointer lacks white border (black pointer on black background)