ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by Jim Truit » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to change
the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

-Jim

http://jubjub.physics.wisc.edu/truittj/resume.html
Research Assistant, Dynamo Group
University of Wisconsin, Madison

ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by Brian Donaldso » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I used a serial mouse and it worked fine.  Ps/1 you would have to
configure it.  Goto /usr/sbin/sndconfig and choose the ps2 mouse and you

> Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
> work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
> plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to change
> the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
> external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

> -Jim

> http://jubjub.physics.wisc.edu/truittj/resume.html
> Research Assistant, Dynamo Group
> University of Wisconsin, Madison

ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by Jim Truit » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Do you mean both mice working simultaneously?  Or just one at a time?
Isn't /usr/sbin/sndconfig for sound?  I can get either mouse to work on
its own, it's getting both to work at the same time that I'm wondering
about.

-Jim

> I used a serial mouse and it worked fine.  Ps/1 you would have to
> configure it.  Goto /usr/sbin/sndconfig and choose the ps2 mouse and you

> > Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
> > work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
> > plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to change
> > the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
> > external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

> > -Jim

ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by Brian Donaldso » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Sorry about the wrong program.  check sysconfig

> Do you mean both mice working simultaneously?  Or just one at a time?
> Isn't /usr/sbin/sndconfig for sound?  I can get either mouse to work on
> its own, it's getting both to work at the same time that I'm wondering
> about.

> -Jim

> > I used a serial mouse and it worked fine.  Ps/1 you would have to
> > configure it.  Goto /usr/sbin/sndconfig and choose the ps2 mouse and you

> > > Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
> > > work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
> > > plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to change
> > > the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
> > > external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

> > > -Jim

ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by Jim Truit » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have the RedHat 6.0 distrib of Linux, and there is no
/usr/sbin/sysconfig (or in any other directory).  Does it really do mice
simultaneously?

-Jim

> Sorry about the wrong program.  check sysconfig

> > Do you mean both mice working simultaneously?  Or just one at a time?
> > Isn't /usr/sbin/sndconfig for sound?  I can get either mouse to work on
> > its own, it's getting both to work at the same time that I'm wondering
> > about.

> > -Jim

http://jubjub.physics.wisc.edu/truittj/resume.html
Research Assistant, Dynamo Group
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Apartment #7            Physics Department
2110 University Ave.    1150 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53705       Madison, WI 53706-1390
Home: (608) 238-3662    Office: (608) 265-3574

ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by Brian Donaldso » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

It did for me.  but I have a serial mouse
try /usr/sbin/mouseconfig

Post by Sai Manohar Gopisett » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I used a serial mouse and it worked fine.  Ps/1 you would have to
> configure it.  Goto /usr/sbin/sndconfig and choose the ps2 mouse and you

> > Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
> > work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
> > plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to change
> > the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
> > external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

> > -Jim

> > http://jubjub.physics.wisc.edu/truittj/resume.html
> > Research Assistant, Dynamo Group
> > University of Wisconsin, Madison

I have a similar need to use two mice under X but I am not able to get it to
work.  gpm is supposed to support two mice.  I was in fact able to get the two
mice (ps2 touchpad, serial ttyS0) to work outside X by this commands:

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm stop
#  /usr/sbin/gpm -t ps2  -M -t ms -m /dev/ttyS0 -R

The -M option in gpm allows multiple devices to function simultaneously; -t
specifies the type and -m specifies the device (default is /dev/mouse).

The  problem seems to be with  /etc/X11/XF86Config containing information about
only one mouse device (look under section "pointer").   Does anyone know how to
tell X that there are two mice devices?

Thanks,
Sai.

Post by Ralf » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
> work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
> plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to
change
> the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
> external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

There is actually an optional section 'Xinput' in XF86Config which allows
you to specify additional input devices. It has a subsection called 'Mouse'
for a second mouse (see the generic XF86Config file and the XF86Config man
page for more...).

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work.
I can get both my built-in ps2 mouse and my serial mouse to work on their
own (as a 'Pointer' entry), but X just seems to ignore the 'Xinput' entry.

Anyone had a similar problem - and the solution?

Cheers,
Ralf.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Post by mfo.. » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm hoping to get a better solution soon but make a config file that
works on the external mouse then rename it eg 86conf.mouse and run
startx pointing at it (see man page) Then right a Conf for the ps2
mouse
In a sense you'll be dual booting.
A simple reite of startx could add an optional flag. But the real
answer would be either 2 working mice or a scripted test that calls
the right conf file.

>> Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
>> work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
>> plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to
>change
>> the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
>> external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

>There is actually an optional section 'Xinput' in XF86Config which allows
>you to specify additional input devices. It has a subsection called 'Mouse'
>for a second mouse (see the generic XF86Config file and the XF86Config man
>page for more...).

>Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work.
>I can get both my built-in ps2 mouse and my serial mouse to work on their
>own (as a 'Pointer' entry), but X just seems to ignore the 'Xinput' entry.

>Anyone had a similar problem - and the solution?

>Cheers,
>Ralf.

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. USB/PS2/Serial mouses? Mouse performance?

I don't like my serial mouse under X. It seems to have a very low
sample frequency that results in poor performance of sliding and
scrolling windows. The worst part of it is of course the aiming and
turning in Quake! The aiming is performed at a much lower display
frequency than my CPU actually provides. For example if my mouse
samples at 20 positions per second, the 40 fps quake.x11 calculates
are a 50% waste of CPU cycles.

I think the serial port is to blame. Although it is configured for a
maximum speed of 115 kbit/s XFree uses the thing at a much lower
bitrate. I tried to specify the higher ones (9600 bits/second!), but
my mouse will bluntly refuse service then. Overclocked? ;-)

My question is: what should I do about this? Should I go find a PS/2
Mouse, or does a USB mouse work well?

If you compare the iMac and Windows systems at a computer shop, you
can see that the USB mouse used works a lot smoother than the ordinary
serial mouses used in the Windows systems. My present mouse is a
Logitech Pilot Mouse (serial version).

Thanks!
--
 ((    Maarten Afman                         ))

 ((    homepage: http://delft.dyndns.org     ))
  ))
 ((    6:20pm  up 4 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.22, 0.10

2. Resizing Solaris Partitions

3. HELP : PS2 mouse - HP Vectra VL series 3 5/90 mouse wont work.

4. Random Lockups

5. Mouse System PS2 mouse jerky in X

6. Installation crash in Red Hat

7. Laptop PS2 Mouse not working

8. ATI Ultra LX + 1572FS /No X

9. Re Trackball/PS2 mouse on laptop-Help

10. How to change mouse from PS2 to serial?

11. Gateway 2k-P5-60, STB W32P Video Board & PS2 Serial Mouse

12. How to change mouse type from serial to PS2 ?

13. Using serial mice on PS2 port?