XFree86 4.0 Voodoo3 only uses Software rendering

XFree86 4.0 Voodoo3 only uses Software rendering

Post by Thomas Hub » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I enthusiastically installed Xfree4.0, as I now have a
Voodoo3-3000 AGP card with 16MB RAM on board. Everything seems to
work, but 3d rendering was slow as before, and when I ran 'glxinfo'
it told me that I'm only using Software Rendering:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX indirect

I use Xfree86-4.0 with the tdfx driver and the glx and dri
modules loaded, on Linux-2.3.99-pre2 with the tdfx and agpgart module
loaded, in the X-server log it says 'direct rendering enabled', I
have 1152x900 screen resolution with 16bpp depth, xdpyinfo show the
necessary extensions are loaded,  what's more ?

I'm sure I checked all the points that were on this DRI Users
Guide (http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/DRI.html), and it still doesn't
work. I also havn't set any environment variables that force Software
rendering, so where's the problem ?

Thomas

PS: I don't have the logs here at work at the moment, but
    if nobody has a tip I could post the Xfree-log, the
    output of xdpyinfo, the /sbin/lsmod output and the
    glxinfo output.

Post by Thomas Hub » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I enthusiastically installed Xfree4.0, as I now have a
: Voodoo3-3000 AGP card with 16MB RAM on board. Everything seems to
: work, but 3d rendering was slow as before, and when I ran 'glxinfo'
: it told me that I'm only using Software Rendering:

: OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX indirect

I'm following up myself (-:
By Mail I received a tip to set the LIBGL_DEBUG variable. Then, the
problem became appearent: it wasn't finding the libglide3.so.3...

Either there is a bug in the documentation or I misunderstood it, as
I read that libglide is obsolete and only needed for voodoo1 and voodoo2
cards. With the voodoo3, the hardware is accessed directly by the tdfx
driver... So I didn't install libglide.

Now (almost) everything works, I have 58 fps with the teapot demo in a
1024x768 window !

There are just 2 little points: Xfree4 crashes my EIZO Flexscan F55...
With crashing I mean, I can't access the onscreen menu anymore and the
image is not centered. Then I have to switch off the monitor and switch
it back on. Then it works perfectly, until I end X and restart it,
then I have to restart the monitor, too... Strange thing..

The second point is a question: In linux 2.3.99-pre2 I found a module
called agpgart, which is for accessing the AGP port. I insmoded this
module, but lsmod shows that it isn't used. Is that normal ?
(I have the AGP version of the voodoo3)

Thomas

Post by Peter Karlss » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>: I enthusiastically installed Xfree4.0, as I now have a
>: Voodoo3-3000 AGP card with 16MB RAM on board. Everything seems to
>: work, but 3d rendering was slow as before, and when I ran 'glxinfo'
>: it told me that I'm only using Software Rendering:

>: OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX indirect

> I'm following up myself (-:
> By Mail I received a tip to set the LIBGL_DEBUG variable. Then, the
> problem became appearent: it wasn't finding the libglide3.so.3...

> Either there is a bug in the documentation or I misunderstood it, as
> I read that libglide is obsolete and only needed for voodoo1 and voodoo2
> cards. With the voodoo3, the hardware is accessed directly by the tdfx
> driver... So I didn't install libglide.

> Now (almost) everything works, I have 58 fps with the teapot demo in a
> 1024x768 window !

> There are just 2 little points: Xfree4 crashes my EIZO Flexscan F55...
> With crashing I mean, I can't access the onscreen menu anymore and the
> image is not centered. Then I have to switch off the monitor and switch
> it back on. Then it works perfectly, until I end X and restart it,
> then I have to restart the monitor, too... Strange thing..

Quote:

> The second point is a question: In linux 2.3.99-pre2 I found a module
> called agpgart, which is for accessing the AGP port. I insmoded this
> module, but lsmod shows that it isn't used. Is that normal ?
> (I have the AGP version of the voodoo3)

Is your X-server configured to use agp? I haven't started using the pre-kernels yet (i use 2.2.14 currently and tested 2.3.42) so I'm just guessing... I know that there is some agp-config in the site.def (or was it linux.def?) in the source-tree...

Best regards

Peter Karlsson

XFree86 4.0 Voodoo3 only uses Software rendering

Post by Thomas Hub » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>> There are just 2 little points: Xfree4 crashes my EIZO Flexscan F55...
>> With crashing I mean, I can't access the onscreen menu anymore and the
>> image is not centered. Then I have to switch off the monitor and switch
>> it back on. Then it works perfectly, until I end X and restart it,
>> then I have to restart the monitor, too... Strange thing..

> Are you using your old (3.3.x) modelines for XF 4 or are you letting the
> x-server do the guessing? I have the same monitor but I use it with a tnt

> am using the bnc-ports for better picture quality and they do not supply the
> screen info (ddc) that the x-server relies upon. I would probably use the
> modelines anyway, even if i didn't need to... Although it seems a bit odd that
> your OSD gets screwed up...

I first didn't use the modelines, but then, I didn't have 1152x900, but
only 1024x768 or 1280x1024. I wanted something between, because with
1280x1024, the refresh rate was too low (75 Hz), and 1024x768 is too
small for a 17' Monitor.
I will try disabling the DDC stuff, maybe that will solve the problem.

Quote:>> The second point is a question: In linux 2.3.99-pre2 I found a module
>> called agpgart, which is for accessing the AGP port. I insmoded this
>> module, but lsmod shows that it isn't used. Is that normal ?
>> (I have the AGP version of the voodoo3)

> Is your X-server configured to use agp? I haven't started using the pre-kernels
> yet (i use 2.2.14 currently and tested 2.3.42) so I'm just guessing... I know that
> there is some agp-config in the site.def (or was it linux.def?) in the
> source-tree...

I don't think, as I downloaded the binaries. Maybe I have to recompile
with the proper options. Is the documentation about that ?

Thomas

1. (XFree86 4.0) voodoo3 3000 agp displays "garbage" in quake3

I just upgraded to XFree86 4.0 from 3.3.6 to fix a problem with my
voodoo3.  When I start quake3 the screen looks like pieces of the
desktop and quake3 mixed together to create an unusable display.
Instead of the voodoo3 displaying "garbage" after exiting a game (as it
did in v 3.3.6), now it just displays the game as "garbage".    I have
found no references to this problem, and I need help, any would be
greatly appreciated.

paul

2. URGENT!!! HELP!!!

3. XFree86 4.0/Voodoo3/OpenGL/Glide questions

4. HSP56 Micromodem on RH8

5. XFree86 4.0 and Voodoo3 problems

6. Best 4GL language for Linux

7. DRI and Voodoo3 3000, direct rendering=yes

8. realplayer behind the firewall?

9. KStatusBar core dump - XFree86 4.0 + FreeBSD 4.0

10. FreeBSD 4.0 moused vs XFree86 4.0

11. Can't get XFree86 4.0 working on FBSD 4.0

12. FreeBSD 4.0 : XFree86 4.0?

13. Problem in using XFree86 4.0 with S3 Trio3D