X crashes when starting an xterm

Post by Radu Drossu - EECS (CPTS5 » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a P5-60 system with 8 MB RAM and an ATI Mach64 graphics card.
I used to run XFree86 ver. 2.1 and an old kernel version of the kernel
and everything worked fine. Recently I installed the 1.2.8 kernel and
XFree86 ver. 3.1.2 and when starting X with startx, whenever I'm
trying to open an xterm X crashes with a message like:
XIO: fatal IO error 2 (Out of memory) on X server "0:0" after
1309 requests (1307 known processe)`d) with 38 events remaining.
Before crashing there is a terrible hard disk access activity.
I kept most of the options in the XConfig file as well as in the
xinitrc file unchanged (with slight changes to fit the new version).
The only other difference as opposed to my previous installation is
that I also included the networking package.
Can anyone suggest me any solution for this problem?
Thanks in advance,

Radu