X and SiS 6326 PCI video board ?

Post by Hu » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have to update and buy a new video board for an old PC that only
disposes of PCI bus and not AGP.
Unfortunately, apart from special and expensive 3D video adapters that
I don't need, there are only SiS 6326 chipset-based boards that are
now available.

Does anybody use this kind of board with XFree ? And satisfied ?
Any problems encountered ?

TIA.
--
SVP enlever ".xyz" pour repondre par email.
Please remove  ".xyz" to answer by email.

Post by Ed Wilt » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have to update and buy a new video board for an old PC that only
> disposes of PCI bus and not AGP.
> Unfortunately, apart from special and expensive 3D video adapters that
> I don't need, there are only SiS 6326 chipset-based boards that are
> now available.

> Does anybody use this kind of board with XFree ? And satisfied ?
> Any problems encountered ?

I've had my SiS 6326 based board (Diamond Speedstar A50) for over a
year, and it's working fine.  I did have to turf off acceleration until
I ran across the tuned driver at the SuSe support site, and it's working
fine now.  I believe the SuSe changes were incorporated into XFree
3.3.6.  I normally use an 1152x864x16bit display.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

Post by Daniel-Marian Baboi » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have to update and buy a new video board for an old PC that only
> disposes of PCI bus and not AGP.
> Unfortunately, apart from special and expensive 3D video adapters that
> I don't need, there are only SiS 6326 chipset-based boards that are
> now available.

I don't know how it is the market outside US, but here there is no
problem finding cheap video boards (~20USD, up to ~40USD). If you have
an old PC, you probably don't care about 3D support (not yet present in
XFree, and it would not be very useful with an old CPU anyway). I would
suggest an S3 os S3Trio-based board. They are among the cheapest and the
best supported (I have one on my P133 computer at home). You can also
try Trident-based boards (also well supported and cheap).

DMB

1. Sis 6326 on board video driver issues

Dear Community,

                                     I have a question about a particular
driver issue I was having with red hat 7.2. I have a onboard sis 6326 video
adapter. now for some reason the driver that they included with red hat 7.2
doesn't work for that model. Once I start X I would see black rectangles
covering various points of my screen also during the video setup where you
test the display settings I can never see the message you are suppose ot see
some of it is also blacked out.

    I am wondering if anyone here has this onboard sis 6326 video adapter
and is currently running red hat 7.3 because i am not sure if the problem
has been corrected. I took a look on xfree86.org and they say it is
supported but there are still problems with the drivers.

   Your help will be greatly appreciate. Thank you!

2. dell compaq and gateway should donate to mozilla.org

3. SIS 6326 AGP 8MB video card prob

4. Filesystem development

5. PCI SiS 6326

6. keyboard driver code

7. SiS 6326 video card

8. Can't use mouse buffer in vi

9. SIS 6326 8M PCI with RH6.0

10. X with SiS 6326 AGP 8MB video card

11. Driver for SiS 6326 8Mb AGP video card

12. SiS 6326 AGP Video Card and X11

13. Troubles with SiS 6326 Video card