color, xdm

Post by Brett Le » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

rookie says hello!

1.
am using a script to start X (from /usr/local/bin/)
this is the script: (startx --32bpp >  ~/.x-errors 2>&1)
why does X only fire up in 8 bit mode? (my 4meg video card gets
detected)

and 2.
i can start xdm, but i can't stop it.  did my best to rtfm.

thanks in advance.

-brett

color, xdm

Post by Travelle » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> rookie says hello!

Traveller responds "How's it goin'?"

Quote:> 1.
> am using a script to start X (from /usr/local/bin/)
> this is the script: (startx --32bpp >  ~/.x-errors 2>&1)
> why does X only fire up in 8 bit mode? (my 4meg video card gets
> detected)

I would say post a copy of you XF86Config and let's see what we're
working with.
Oh and your .x-errors file.  It could be a lot of things.

Quote:> and 2.
> i can start xdm, but i can't stop it.  did my best to rtfm.

There are a couple of ways to stop xdm.  Edit the /etc/inittab file to
stop it permanently
(if that's what you want, and I don't think it is, let us know) or to
just switch out of it
temporarily goto Run level 3 (3 for me 5 for some others) by doing  '#
init 3'.  xdm won't
run again until you reboot or switch back.

Quote:> thanks in advance.

No problem...hope it helped.
Quote:> -brett

color, xdm

Post by Sasch » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> rookie says hello!

> 1.
> am using a script to start X (from /usr/local/bin/)
> this is the script: (startx --32bpp >  ~/.x-errors 2>&1)
> why does X only fire up in 8 bit mode? (my 4meg video card gets
> detected)

The correct syntax is startx -- -bpp 32 !! options before the -- go to
the startx-script, options behind the -- are passed to the xserver.

Quote:> and 2.
> i can start xdm, but i can't stop it.  did my best to rtfm.

what did you do to stop it? why do you want to stop it? you can switch
to a console by pressing ctrl+alt+FX (normally X=1...6) and back with
alt+F7. So when you normally work with X there is no need to stop it. If
you really want to stop it, type ps axw | grep xdm note the process-id
and kill it with kill <process-id> or by typing killall xdm. that should
make it. If you use a different runlevel with xdm and without, you can
change that by typing init <runlevel> being root.

Hope that helped

Sascha

Quote:> thanks in advance.

> -brett

color, xdm

Post by r.. » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: > rookie says hello!
: >
[...]

: > thanks in advance.
: >
: > -brett

Brett,

If you start xdm by switching runlevel, then you can do "telinit 3"
to make it go back to Command Line login. At least in Slackware
init level 3 is the command line login. There seems to be a
difference in Slack and RH here. Read "man init", the levels are discibed there

Way