Fonts/Icons/Everything too small

Post by jreyn.. » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm a newbie to all this, so please, be gentle.

I just set-up RedHat Linux with (the default) fvwm95-2 window manager. The
resolution is set at 1024x768, something my graphics card and monitor have
plenty of resources for.

The problem is that *everything* on the workspace is too small-- icon
bars, text, buttons, etc... The Xterm font Huge is barely big enough to
read. Netscape buttons are miniscule.

Yes, I can selective resize text in some cases (Netscape, Xterm, etc...)
but the size of everything on the desktop is too small.

I've used other machines at 1024x768 with no problems. But this size-thing
has been just another roadblock in my getting up to speed with Linux. My
eyes hurt after 5 minutes.

Are programs like Netscape, AOL Immediate Messenger, etc... hardcoded to
run at a set resolution? That doesn't sound reasonable.

(How) can I use these applications at 1024x768 and be able to see them?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim.

Fonts/Icons/Everything too small

Post by Jens Baar » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I'm a newbie to all this, so please, be gentle.

> I just set-up RedHat Linux with (the default) fvwm95-2 window manager. The
> resolution is set at 1024x768, something my graphics card and monitor have
> plenty of resources for.

> The problem is that *everything* on the workspace is too small-- icon
> bars, text, buttons, etc... The Xterm font Huge is barely big enough to
> read. Netscape buttons are miniscule.

[...]

> (How) can I use these applications at 1024x768 and be able to see them?

> Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> Jim.

Hi,
seems to me that the only solution is to get a bigger monitor.

Jens

--

1. Netscape small font too small question

You received with 1.1n a file called , i believe, netscape.ad.  That little
baby tells you more than you need to know about fonts.  also you can change
your font path to 100dpi, you are probably using 75 dpi.

xset fp= /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/

is what i use in the .xinitrc

2. Installed on IDE, need to move whole o/s to SCSI

3. Need an icon font editor that handles multiple fonts per file

4. Problems compiling kernel 1.1.47

5. Fonts are to small at 1600x1200, How I can change all fonts to a larger size?

6. Poor Network Performance

7. What is Everything ICON in install

8. Can you recommend a good Linux book?

9. Icons, Icon veiwer and Icon converter

10. how do I add small icons to a gnome panel drawer?

11. xfm and the small folder icons

12. Question on small flashing icon when opening app (kde2.2)

13. X11 Fonts scrambled on PCI Miro 12 SD, everything else is fine