Screen size when using XFree/Metro-X with S3/ViRGe 3D

Screen size when using XFree/Metro-X with S3/ViRGe 3D

Post by Narendra Rav » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Folks,

The environment is

  HP Pavilion (200MMX, 32MB RAM)
  S3 ViRGe 3D video card with 2MB RAM
  XFree 3.3.1
  Fvwm95-2

  I am starting the X server with startx -- -bpp 8

Result is

  I get a virtual window which is larger than the real screen size
  The real screen size is 1280x1024. I can only verify this by opening
  a window and resizing it horizontally and vertically and then
  observe the numbers change as Fvwm95-2 resizes the window.

  The virtual screen size is greater both horizontally and vertically.
  I think it is 1600x1280 or something like that. And when I quit
  X I see some modeline processing output on the screen which indicates
  that only 6bpp were used.

I would like to

  have a virtual and real screen size of only 1280x1024. At this time
  I am not worried about the number of colors.

What am I doing wrong? How can I achieve the result I want?

Please post if the responses are useful for a wider audience.
Else please email your responses and I will summarize if there
is interest.

Thank you,

PS: What is a good video card for true color (24bpp?) that is well
    supported by Xfree 3.3.1?
    How can such a card be integrated with the HP Pavilion system
    which has its video functionality sitting on its motherboard?

Screen size when using XFree/Metro-X with S3/ViRGe 3D

Post by Geoff Johnsto » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Edit your XF86Config file and remove the lines starting "virtual =" in the
display section.

1st Year CS

#1: I'm a bit annoyed-this is one of the most common questions on this
newsgroup so it should be in a FAQ or at least answerable thru
Deja-News...#2: I'm gonna answer this cuz i've always wanted to answer
this MY way!
 Look Here:
I realize that the virtual screen is disorienting at first, but I say to
you now,
give it a chance! Tryyy it. It's the default XFree behavior for a reason--
it's
very useful. ( especially if you speed up the mouse -- see "man xset")
If you must surrender to madness and a little screen, edit the
/etc/XF68Config file. You can do all sorts of wonderful things there. See
"man XF86Config" and
look for the word "virtual".

If I seem harsh, you'll thank me later.

--
yours,
Andy

Screen size when using XFree/Metro-X with S3/ViRGe 3D

Post by Nostr.. » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem, except even when I commented out the "virtual"
line in the XF86Config, It still had the virtual screen.  I had to
actually change the "virtual" setting to 1024 768 for it to display in
the correct size.

<snip>

Quote:

>  I get a virtual window which is larger than the real screen size
>  The real screen size is 1280x1024. I can only verify this by opening
>  a window and resizing it horizontally and vertically and then
>  observe the numbers change as Fvwm95-2 resizes the window.

>  The virtual screen size is greater both horizontally and vertically.
>  I think it is 1600x1280 or something like that. And when I quit
>  X I see some modeline processing output on the screen which indicates
>  that only 6bpp were used.

<snip>