Kensington Orbit Trackball

Post by IceCol » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Well, I've been through the web, all the manuals and all my friends, but I
can't figure this out.  My Kensington Orbit Trackball (Serial) works fine
under X w/ the regular generic drivers.  In fact everything works great
until I go to shutdown.  It hits the gpm mouse services and halts.  I've
used every driver listed and it either locks, or I have no mouse in X.  Can
someone please help me on this?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Post by Kevin D. Snodgras » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Well, I've been through the web, all the manuals and all my friends, but I
> can't figure this out.  My Kensington Orbit Trackball (Serial) works fine
> under X w/ the regular generic drivers.  In fact everything works great
> until I go to shutdown.  It hits the gpm mouse services and halts.  I've
> used every driver listed and it either locks, or I have no mouse in X.  Can
> someone please help me on this?

I have the same problem.  Not sure if it is related to the
Orbit Trackball though.  To fix just move the ball or click
one of the buttons.  I'm thinking gpm has issued a blocking
I/O call waiting for mouse data, but I haven't looked
through the source to find out for sure.  It "should" be
easy to fix this.

--
Kevin D. Snodgrass              | Money in Washington (D.C.)
                                | is like honey to bears,
Spam-proofed email address,     | they can't keep their paws
intelligent beings will adjust. | off of it. - Steve Forbes

1. Kensington Orbit trackball (again)

Thanks to the excellent suggestion to try xev (thank you John Palkovic), I
have found that the left button = button 1 and the right button = button
2. Unfortunately when I make a chord (left and right buttons at the same
time), xev tells me that I have simply pressed button 1 and button 2
separately.

The question: is there any way to have the OS figure out what a chord is,
i.e., if buttons 1 and 2 are pressed within a certain time interval, it
should be interpreted as equal to button 3?

Thanks,

Dan

--
Daniel E. Sabath, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Laboratory Medicine

2. Can Linux Feed Multiple Video Chips Locally to support several Video Monitors ?

3. Kensington Orbit trackball

4. PCI problems, 440BX chipset MB

5. Kensington Orbit trackball 3 button emulation

6. RH7.2: Invisible mouse pointer

7. Kensington Orbit Trackball?

8. ODBMS for Linux

9. Kensington Orbit w/ LinuxPPC

10. Kensington Orbit ADB on b&w G3 problem

11. LinuxPPC R4 and Kensington Orbit

12. Kensington ADB Orbit 2 button mouse on YDL

13. Kensington Orbit-Right Mouse Button & Suse Linux