X Changes its Mind Often

Post by Desmond Coughl » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi people.  I need help here.  I installed Slackware 3.5, everything
went well, and I logged in as root, and ran XFConfig86

I selected the resolution 1024*768 but when I started X, it went
straight into 640*480.  I know that I can use the former, as I had it
before (but I'll be damned if I can remember how ...), and in any
case, I'm using it now, under Windows.

Can anyone help?

To avoid clogging up bandwidth, I haven't included my XF86Config file,
but have put it on my page, at:

http://www.pratique.fr/~dcoughla/linux/X/XF86Config.txt

Thanks in advance.
----
Desmond Coughlan          |Restez zen ... Unix peut le faire

www.pratique.fr/~dcoughla

X Changes its Mind Often

Post by Valentin Guille » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi people.  I need help here.

First,

Consult your X log to determine which Xserver you are actually using.
Judging from your config file, it is probably the SVGA server.
Next, go into your config file, screen sections, and delete complete
sections of all servers you are not using, e.g. the 16 color VGA,  VGA2,
and any others.  Alternatively, you can convert the entire sections into
comments, as opposed to commands, by ensuring that  a hash mark  #  is the
first character on each of the lines in the section.

Then, either delete or comment out the "display" subsections you're not
using.  On the line which says Modes, select the resolution you wish to be
the default and be sure that that resolution is the first on referenced on
the line.

Another suggestion.  Once you have the Xserver up and running onyour
system, go back into the config file and DELETE every line which begins
with the hash mark.  Once the server actually works, you don't need all
those comments.  Your file is ten times larger than what it should be, and
only makes the file intimidating for you.  Just remember, if the line
begins with a hash mark, it is doing nothing but informing the reader when
he opens up the file to view it. NOTHING MORE!

Regards,

Valentin

X Changes its Mind Often

Post by Joi Elli » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Hi people.  I need help here.  I installed Slackware 3.5, everything
: went well, and I logged in as root, and ran XFConfig86

: I selected the resolution 1024*768 but when I started X, it went
: straight into 640*480.  I know that I can use the former, as I had it
: before (but I'll be damned if I can remember how ...), and in any
: case, I'm using it now, under Windows.

I think the server collects all of the resolutions you listed in your
config file, and defaults to the first one you specified.  If you ensure
the desired resoultion is the first one the server identifies, it will
use that one by default.

I think...  It's been a while since I messed with mine.  Eventually I
discovered I never needed the lower resolutions and just commented them
out.  I run my two boxes at 1280x1024.

--
Joi Ellis

1. IPChains and DHCP: How often does a DHCP-supplied IPaddress change?

Forgive me if what follows reveals my massive ignorance.

My ipchains ruleset uses the DHCP-supplied external IP address provided by
the cable company.  How often does this IP address change?  How do I enable my
ipchains ruleset to reflect this change immediately and automatically?

Fulton B. Gonzalez
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155 USA

2. Screensavers

3. Open Group changes mind on X11R6.4 license

4. return code from piped function

5. /usr/ucb/cc, will Sun ever change its mind?

6. Kernal Mount Point

7. Often freeze ups after motherboard swap

8. System halts at bootup

9. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

10. Linux is not for the weak of mind.

11. OT Open source = Open mind?

12. never mind about the colrm ....

13. Epson740 Stylus Color-am i losing my mind!!!!???