Help with DIAMOND VIPER SE VLB with p9100 chipset

Help with DIAMOND VIPER SE VLB with p9100 chipset

Post by bmr1 » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I am a newbie to Linux, and while installing X Windows, I noticed that
it said that the P9100 chip is not supported yet, is that still the
case?  I have read as much as I could of this newsgroup and noticed
other people that are having similar problems as I am, but I could not
find any real solution.  So the first part of my question is:  IS there
a P9100 driver for Diamond chipset yet?  If there is, where can I get
it?

Well, after finding that out, I set up to use the generic SVGA setup
and driver, and where that "works" (meaning, I can actually see my
XClock and Xterms, but nothing much else works.. maybe not video
problem though!!  :)) it is HUGE!!!  It says that the default graphics
will be set to 320X200 !!!  Even though I have it set for standard 640
by 480.. Is there a way to change that default  with the generic
driver?

The only way that I can get it to work like this is to have everything
including the chipset setup as generic, with 2MB of vram (which is what
the card has).

If anyone has any suggestions, could you please either respond here or
email me directly at:

Also, if anyone has gotten their VIPER VLB SE with P9100 chipset to
work with X Windows (I only need it to be 640x480 after all!!) could
you please send me a copy of your XF86Config file in the text of the
message?

Thanks again,
    Bradley M. Rosenberg

Post by Henrik Harms » Sun, 09 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I am a newbie to Linux, and while installing X Windows, I noticed that
>it said that the P9100 chip is not supported yet, is that still the
>case?  I have read as much as I could of this newsgroup and noticed
>other people that are having similar problems as I am, but I could not
>find any real solution.  So the first part of my question is:  IS there
>a P9100 driver for Diamond chipset yet?  If there is, where can I get
>it?

Ther is no driver for the P9100. Maybe there are commercial options
available, I don't know. The P9000 server can not be used (at least
not without modifications). If anyone wants to write a P9100 server,
go ahead and join the Xfree86 team. I think you can get programming
info from Diamond.

Quote:>Well, after finding that out, I set up to use the generic SVGA setup
>and driver, and where that "works" (meaning, I can actually see my
>XClock and Xterms, but nothing much else works.. maybe not video
>problem though!!  :)) it is HUGE!!!  It says that the default graphics
>will be set to 320X200 !!!  Even though I have it set for standard 640
>by 480.. Is there a way to change that default  with the generic
>driver?

Make sure you have a driver which supports 640x480 and a mode-line
with 640x480. Use the xf86config program to create a XF86Config file.

>The only way that I can get it to work like this is to have everything
>including the chipset setup as generic, with 2MB of vram (which is what
>the card has).
>If anyone has any suggestions, could you please either respond here or
>email me directly at:

>Also, if anyone has gotten their VIPER VLB SE with P9100 chipset to
>work with X Windows (I only need it to be 640x480 after all!!) could
>you please send me a copy of your XF86Config file in the text of the
>message?
>Thanks again,
>    Bradley M. Rosenberg

                                      -- Henrik
--

               Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden.
      "I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."

1. Any news on DIAMOND VIPER SE VLB (P9100) support?

I was just wondering if there is any information yet about the ability for
XF86 to support the P9100 chipset.  Has anybody been able to get this card to
work with XF86 at anything better than 300x200 (or whatever) mode?  I would
deal with even just 16 colors if I could get it to work under 640x480!

OH!  I got a disk from Diamond on an SE server for Linux, but it is full of
assembler and c source code, so I have NO idea what to do with it.  If anybody
has used this and has some hints for me, I would greatly appriciate it.

Thanks!

  Bradley M. Rosenberg

2. qu:wu-ftp with shadow passwords

3. Need help installing X w/Diamond Viper Pro PCI (P9100 chipset)

4. How to change monitor settings on Linux 7.1

5. diamond viper vlb (se) - help!

6. Two Ethernet Cards Conflict

7. Diamond Viper SE VLB

8. Router not working yet

9. Diamon Viper SE p9100

10. Diamond Viper VLB -- PCI-VLB mixup????

11. Diamond Viper SE: help