Xterm not finding /etc/utmp

Post by Ujjal Bans » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Howdy!

I have a small problem with xterm giving me the following message:

_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

This message is repeated several times when the xterm is instantiated and
destroyed.  According to the man page for xterm, xterm is looking for the
utmp file in /etc/utmp.  I have the utmp in /var/adm/ with a link from
/etc/utmp to /var/adm/utmp.  Where should I have the utmp file so I can
figure out "who" is on the system?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Ujj

--

Xterm not finding /etc/utmp

Post by Andreas Mitsi » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Howdy!

> I have a small problem with xterm giving me the following message:

> _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

> This message is repeated several times when the xterm is instantiated and
> destroyed.  According to the man page for xterm, xterm is looking for the
> utmp file in /etc/utmp.  I have the utmp in /var/adm/ with a link from
> /etc/utmp to /var/adm/utmp.  Where should I have the utmp file so I can
> figure out "who" is on the system?

> Thank you for your cooperation,

> Ujj

> --

Hi,

 be sure you have sysmlinks defined in /var/run and /var/log too.

Best Regards,
Andreas Mitsis

Oh, I'm a sysadmin, and I'm ok.         | Andreas Mitsis

I knock back Cokes, I skip my lunch,    |
I'm glued to the VDT!                   | 55128 Mainz, Germany

finger

for PGP public key

1. Xterm writing to /etc/utmp failing...

I'm having problems with xterm writing to /etc/utmp.  If I start up an xterm it
gives me:
_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

It does this even if I start the xterm with -ut.  If it matters I just installed
all the beta libc 5.0.0/X11-Elf compiled with 5.0.0 stuff.  I don't think (?)
that is the problem, though, so I'll post it here.  It still runs fine so far
but I don't like error messages (even if benign).

The utmp file is definitely there (it's a link to /var/adm/utmp), and nothing
else gives me a problem writing to it.

Thanks for any help.
--
Ug.  I have nothing to say other than that I have nothing to say.

2. Floating point optimization for Sparc Ultra

3. ufsdump for multiple fs'?

4. security on Sun /etc/utmp and xterm

5. location of unix system utilities

6. ?? using sessreg and xterm +ut to update /etc/utmp

7. read() using SCSI-Generic

8. utmp file: cant find _setutent when starting xterm

9. xterm can't find utmp

10. xterm cannot find utmp?

11. xterms not updating utmp