mpeg_play on Matrox Millenium

Post by Jonathan Buschman » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm runnining XFree86 3.2a (under Linux) on a Matrox Millenium and am
having trouble with mpeg_play-2.3 using the 24 bit Truecolor visual. The
images are not drawn correctly to the screen (I just see garbage). At 8
bit it works fine. Anybody know if this is a problem with the driver or
mpeg_play- I don't have any other 24-bit screens to try out. Other apps
don't seem to have problems, although I don't have any others that write
video to the screen. BTW. disabling shared mem doesn't help.

jonathan

Post by Guido Vollbedin » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I'm runnining XFree86 3.2a (under Linux) on a Matrox Millenium and am
> having trouble with mpeg_play-2.3 using the 24 bit Truecolor visual. The
> images are not drawn correctly to the screen (I just see garbage). At 8
> bit it works fine. Anybody know if this is a problem with the driver or
> mpeg_play- I don't have any other 24-bit screens to try out. Other apps
> don't seem to have problems, although I don't have any others that write
> video to the screen. BTW. disabling shared mem doesn't help.

You might try my FixPix patch, see http://www.esc.de/homes/guivol/fixpix/

But I'm not sure if it helps in your case. The patch definitely improves
behaviour in 15/16 bit Truecolor modes.

The mpeg_play-2.3 definitely would have trouble with 24 bit bpp (bits per
pixel) XImage/Pixmap formats, I didn't fix that because it required major
changes. However, as far as I've heard, this format is actually not used
in X servers (instead, the provided format is 32 bpp in 24 bit color
depth modes), and I guess that many other apps would have similar trouble.

Did you try wether xv (latest version 3.10a) works correctly in your mode
(with or w/o fixpix)? This program has the most generic image handling
I've ever seen in the X world. If it won't work, I'd say the X server
is broken in the considered mode. If this works, other apps should be
fixed accordingly.

Regards,
Guido

Post by Tod » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I'm runnining XFree86 3.2a (under Linux) on a Matrox Millenium and am
>having trouble with mpeg_play-2.3 using the 24 bit Truecolor visual. The
>images are not drawn correctly to the screen (I just see garbage). At 8
>bit it works fine. Anybody know if this is a problem with the driver or
>mpeg_play- I don't have any other 24-bit screens to try out. Other apps
>don't seem to have problems, although I don't have any others that write
>video to the screen. BTW. disabling shared mem doesn't help.

try xanim