ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount

Post by Jim Comstoc » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

 I'm running RedHat 5.2.  My disk configuration is as follows:

ide0:    Master    Western Digital 5gb hard disk
            Slave        Western Digital 2 gb hard drive
ide1:    Master    Memorex 40x cdrom
            Slave        HP cd burner
AdvanSys SCSI:    0        Tandberg 2gb tape drive
                                1        IBM 2gb disk drive (my root
disk).

    I installed cdrecord and xcdroast.  In order to access the cd
burner, I had to enable ide-scsi emulation, and turn off the eide
support for ide cdroms (involved a kernel rebuild).  Everything works
fine now, except I can't figure out what device the cdroms are at to
mount/read cd's.  The Memorex
used to be hdc, the HP hdd.   I aliased the AdvanSys to be the first
scsi adapter and the ide as adapter1.   I can't figure out which device
to mount the cdrom on.  If I try hdc, I get error messages about illegal
scsi instructions ( I expected this to fail).  The device for my root
disk is sda2 (the first partition is for swap).  I expected the cdrom to
be sdb1, but no luck.  My hard drives are still hdax and hdbx.  What
device should my cdrom's be?

ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount

Post by Jim Comstoc » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>  I'm running RedHat 5.2.  My disk configuration is as follows:

> ide0:    Master    Western Digital 5gb hard disk
>             Slave        Western Digital 2 gb hard drive
> ide1:    Master    Memorex 40x cdrom
>             Slave        HP cd burner
> AdvanSys SCSI:    0        Tandberg 2gb tape drive
>                                 1        IBM 2gb disk drive (my root
> disk).

>     I installed cdrecord and xcdroast.  In order to access the cd
> burner, I had to enable ide-scsi emulation, and turn off the eide
> support for ide cdroms (involved a kernel rebuild).  Everything works
> fine now, except I can't figure out what device the cdroms are at to
> mount/read cd's.  The Memorex
> used to be hdc, the HP hdd.   I aliased the AdvanSys to be the first
> scsi adapter and the ide as adapter1.   I can't figure out which device
> to mount the cdrom on.  If I try hdc, I get error messages about illegal
> scsi instructions ( I expected this to fail).  The device for my root
> disk is sda2 (the first partition is for swap).  I expected the cdrom to
> be sdb1, but no luck.  My hard drives are still hdax and hdbx.  What
> device should my cdrom's be?

Never mind, I found it.  It's scd0 and scd1.

1. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom devices

[...]

jim c

2. ? Setting up a relaying mail-server ?

3. SCSI card and ide-scsi emulation: should they work together?

4. User defined signal 1

5. SCSI controler and ide-scsi emulation

6. ABI 2.4.3.0

7. Oops + Aiee when mounting CDROM via ide-scsi under 2.4.20-pre5-ac4

8. Problem with X-windows

9. ide-scsi - can't mount /cdrom - but can see scsi0:

10. timeout on TUR to IDE CDROM using SCSI emulation

11. Is there DISadvantage to scsi emulation for ide cdrom reader?

12. Sound and SCSI emulation of IDE CDROM

13. 2.5.10(bk r1.558): oops on mount cdrom (scsi emulation)