BUG in fvwm changing active window.

Post by Henry Cros » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I've found what appears to be a bug in fvwm using
Slackware 2.3-kernal 1.2.8 w/ XFree86 3.1.2 and a S3 server.
Sometimes (read: every once in a while) I can't click on a title bar
to change the input focus to a different window that is on the same
virtual screen, however, clicking on the same window using the
virtual screen manager changes the focus! Weird stuff!
The only way I've been able to fix this is to bring X down and
restart it. It's happen'd twice in as many days.

                                     Anybody got any ideas?
                                          H.CROSS

Post by Gary Manni » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I've found what appears to be a bug in fvwm using
>Slackware 2.3-kernal 1.2.8 w/ XFree86 3.1.2 and a S3 server.
>Sometimes (read: every once in a while) I can't click on a title bar
>to change the input focus to a different window that is on the same
>virtual screen, however, clicking on the same window using the
>virtual screen manager changes the focus! Weird stuff!
>The only way I've been able to fix this is to bring X down and
>restart it. It's happen'd twice in as many days.

>                                     Anybody got any ideas?
>                                          H.CROSS

I too have seen this same problem, or at least one that is very similar
where focus does not change to another window.  I can reproduce this
problem at will by setting the system time back (i.e. using "date" as
root to set the system time back an hour).  The problem was happening
quite often because I use a program called nistime to set my machine's
time clock to the National Institute of Standards (or whatever).  When
the system time gets set back - focus goes south.

A month or two ago someone was putting together a list of configurations
for people experiencing this problem.  I have since changed jobs and lost
this person's e-mail address.  This problem may have been resolved by now.

I can always clear the problem by restarting fvwm.

I am running:
   Slackware 2.3
   Linux 1.2.8
   Fvwm 1.23b
   X3.1.1
   et4000 video card in 1024x768 mode

I hope this helps.

Gary

BUG in fvwm changing active window.

Post by The Unforgive » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> >Sometimes (read: every once in a while) I can't click on a title bar
> >to change the input focus to a different window that is on the same
> >virtual screen, however, clicking on the same window using the
> >virtual screen manager changes the focus! Weird stuff!

I used to have this problem (ET4000 chipset, kernel v1.2.1, unknown
Slackware ver.) when I had "Click to set focus" turned on.  Now, I have
set X to reset the focus whenever I move the mouse on top of a window
(by commenting out or removing the line "ClickToFocus" in
system.fvwmrc).  This took some getting used to, but not much.  I
actually like it better than the old click-to-change-focus.  It just
brings me farther away from Windows. :)

Hope this helps!

                T.J. Mannos

Post by Jeff MacDona » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: > >Sometimes (read: every once in a while) I can't click on a title bar
: > >to change the input focus to a different window that is on the same
: > >virtual screen, however, clicking on the same window using the
: > >virtual screen manager changes the focus! Weird stuff!

: I used to have this problem (ET4000 chipset, kernel v1.2.1, unknown
: Slackware ver.) when I had "Click to set focus" turned on.  Now, I have
: set X to reset the focus whenever I move the mouse on top of a window
: (by commenting out or removing the line "ClickToFocus" in
: system.fvwmrc).  This took some getting used to, but not much.  I
: actually like it better than the old click-to-change-focus.  It just
: brings me farther away from Windows. :)

I have had a similar problem on occasion, as well.. not really sure what
caused it. Restarting fvwm seemed to solve the problem, and it hasn't
cropped up since. The funny thing is, I already use the "focus window under
mouse" (not "click to focus") mode. Perhaps this is a bug in fvwm or the
server itself?

: Hope this helps!

:               T.J. Mannos

/j/
(not speaking for my employer)

Post by Martina Umlau » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>: > >Sometimes (read: every once in a while) I can't click on a title bar
>: > >to change the input focus to a different window that is on the same
>: > >virtual screen, however, clicking on the same window using the
>: > >virtual screen manager changes the focus! Weird stuff!
[...]
>I have had a similar problem on occasion, as well.. not really sure what
>caused it. Restarting fvwm seemed to solve the problem, and it hasn't
>cropped up since. The funny thing is, I already use the "focus window under
>mouse" (not "click to focus") mode. Perhaps this is a bug in fvwm or the
>server itself?

I have found that this wierd behaviour is caused when NumLock is ON. Stupid
as it sounds - try turning of NumLock and it works again! I know of several
other people who experienced the exact same problem.

--

        /|/|artina :)                  Fido:  2:310/81.81