two servers on one machine

Post by Holger Hetteric » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

Let's say one installs two graphic cards into a PC. In this case, a
Matrox Mystique and an old S3. Is it posibble to start 2 X-Servers, one
using the Matrox, and one using the S3, on the local machine? (I've
heard about GGI to be able to do that?)

Can anyone give me short tips how to configure XDM so that it runs a
chooser and "looks" for other XDM-servers in the local net?

Another question (off topic here, but maybe someone helps me out): In
normal behaviour, "rsh <host> -e <command>" would use the Username from
the local machine to login at the remote machine. It requests the
password for the user on the remote machine then. In my local network,
where security is not the essential thing, I would like to define users
who can enter the remote machine through rsh without a password, so that
for example the command "rsh <host> -e netscape" is executed immediatly
if the user exists on the remote system. I've read the manpages, and I
feel it has something to do with "Kerberos" authentification, but I
did'nt find out more. Anyone with advices?

Thanks
Holger

--
Holger Hetterich, Erlangen, Germany
http://www.erlangen.netsurf.de/dqb539

two servers on one machine

Post by Ia » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Let's say one installs two graphic cards into a PC. In this case, a
> Matrox Mystique and an old S3. Is it posibble to start 2 X-Servers,
> one using the Matrox, and one using the S3, on the local machine?
> (I've heard about GGI to be able to do that?)

I think the graphics cards have to co-operate, one has to turn off VGA
mode or they'll both try to be the primary card. Two Matrox Milleniums
can co-operate in this way, but I'm not sure if others will.

Quote:> In my local network, where security is not the essential thing, I
> would like to define users who can enter the remote machine through
> rsh without a password, so that for example the command "rsh <host>
> -e netscape" is executed immediatly if the user exists on the remote
> system.

You put a file called ".rhosts" in the user's home dir on the remote
machine, and in that file you put "++". Now any user can rsh into that
account without using a password.

--
Ian - Edit address before mailing. | Have you got a question you want to ask
     Running Linux in the UK.      | Usenet? Search www.dejanews.com first!

1. Two FTP Servers On One AIX Machine

Hello,

I am planning on installing WU-FTP alongside the existing/default FTP
server.

Does anyone out there:
1. Know if there will be a conflict.  And if so how to avoid.
2. Have any tips for doing this or know of any good info sources (I've
already seen the wu-ftpd.org and associated pages without any luck).

I have looked at the existing WU-FTP install instructions/scripts.  A
difficulty with these is they require alteration of the /etc/inetd.conf
file to make it point to the new ftpd at the expense of the existing
ftpd.  How would I get around this?
I plan to make the existing FTP server the default.

TIA,
Ahmed.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. altq help

3. Two servers - one machine

4. apm with linux 2.4.0; Suspends with switch, not with timer

5. DHCP Client and Server, two nics, one Linux machine-->configuration problem

6. DSL Frustrations

7. Two Mail Servers, One Machine

8. which command or program can show kernel threads

9. Two WWW server on one machine

10. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

11. two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

12. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

13. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?