Debian Donations from KDE/Debian CD

Post by Bruce Pere » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I previously posted to this newsgroup that Debian would forward the
donations it receives from an upcoming KDE/Debian CD to the GNOME
project. This, understandably, has annoyed some KDE supporters.

Because of this, we have decided that we will place donations from the
KDE CD in our general fund. This won't disappoint the GNOME project,
because we're sending them $1000 that we made on another CD, and we've
given them access to our computer resources so that they don't have to
spend money on WWW or FTP servers.

We are concerned by the KDE team's choice to use a non-free software
component, the Qt toolkit published by Troll Tech. Qt fails tests #3
and #6 of the Free Software Guidelines
(at http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html), and we despair that
Troll Tech will ever change its license. We will continue to encourage
the KDE team to _do_something_ about this. We are joined in this by
many leaders in the Linux and Free Software communities.

        Bruce Perens
        Debian Project Leader
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html

1. COMMERCIAL: Offical Debian 1.3 two CD set $4.95, Free to , Debian , Developers

[...]

Note that the original party was advertising the "Official Debian" two-CD
set.  This is *different* from making their own CDs, they're using the
officially supplied Debian CD images, which have (since) been announced as
available.  If Debian produced some official images that were 1.3 (rather
than 1.3.1), and announced their availability, how can you say a
manufacturer who starts selling them (with the option of a $5 donation to
Debian, and offering free copies to Debian developers) is doing the wrong
thing?

I know there have been problems with CD manufacturers in the past, but I
wouldn't want to see CD manufacturers who appear to be doing the right thing
by Debian (in several ways) being put off by people jumping the gun a bit
and accusing them of things they haven't done.

                                Warwick

Department of Computer Science                        phone: +61-3-9344-9171
University of Melbourne                                 fax: +61-3-9348-1184
Parkville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3052     web: http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/~warwick

2. Redhat 5.0 Swap Space

3. Where is kde.debian.net or kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde ?

4. prompt for password on protected file

5. Debian v Slackware (rc.d doesn't exist in Debian)

6. FreeBSD documentation

7. How do I insert partitions BEFORE my Debian boot partiton and still get Debian to boot?

8. Changing X mouse pointer color

9. Debian and proprietary software (Debian folks: please read.)

10. My Debian! (Debian 2.0 hamm)

11. Debian 1.3 Beta Test, and other Debian News

12. How I upgraded to debian-stable (potato) to debian-testing (woody)