XFree86 4.0.1 and Helix-Gnome only works for root

XFree86 4.0.1 and Helix-Gnome only works for root

Post by Mauri » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Strange thing happened when I upgraded my X to 4.0.1 from the binairy
tarballs: Now only user "root" can use the gnome desktop. If I try to
log in as anybody else (using gdm) my screen blinks, and the login box
re-appears. All this used to work just fine.

My guess some priviledge was set funny somewhere.

Can anybody help me fix this please?

XFree86 4.0.1 and Helix-Gnome only works for root

Post by Bob Chiodin » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

In a text terminal, alt-crtl-F1,as root:

rm -rf /tmp/.X0-lock and/or /tmp/.X11-unix

Also, make sure the permissions on the /tmp directory are 0777.  This has
helped me in the past.

Bob...

> Strange thing happened when I upgraded my X to 4.0.1 from the binairy
> tarballs: Now only user "root" can use the gnome desktop. If I try to
> log in as anybody else (using gdm) my screen blinks, and the login box
> re-appears. All this used to work just fine.

> My guess some priviledge was set funny somewhere.

> Can anybody help me fix this please?

1. Helix-Gnome harddrive install problems

OK. I've successfully upgraded to Helix-Gnome 1.2 on my desktop and
elected to save my Helix-Gnome files. I was hoping I'd be able to use
the same files to upgrade my laptop (both machines run RedHat 6.1) but
I'm getting nowhere. I copied the files to my laptop but when I launch
the Installer and browse to the location of the files, the "NEXT" button
is disabled and it's impossible to initiate the upgrade. Anyone else get
this to work? Thanks.

--
Upsala '75

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. SCSI Direct Access

3. helix-gnome: change display res?

4. sed: linewraps and / and * characters

5. Helix-Gnome ate my kdm login

6. MCC interim Linux 0.99p8

7. Helix-gnome

8. multiple ethernet cards

9. Helix-Gnome!

10. Navigating the menus in helix-gnome...

11. Helix-Gnome problems

12. Trouble installing Helix-Gnome...

13. helix-gnome & sawfish panel menu, help