Cirrus 5430 broken in XFree 3.1.1 and 3.1.2

Cirrus 5430 broken in XFree 3.1.1 and 3.1.2

Post by skul.. » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi:

  it seems to me the SVGA X server support for the Cirrus chip clgd5430
is broken both in XFree 3.1.1 and 3.1.2. It seems to work much better
in XFree 3.1.

Here is what happened: I have two brand new Gateway 4DX2-66 machines,
both of them with the on-board video with the said chip (1 meg VRAM).
On one of these I installed XFree 3.1 SVGA server from the Slackware
2.1 distribution. I used the supplied configuration program to
build the XFConfig file. It works fine most of the time, but I noticed that
xfm 0.5 would hang the machine, when I select "Tree" from the "View"
menu. The machine has to be cold-booted. It is reproducible. It prompted
me to try to install SVGA server from XFree 3.1.2., without upgrading
the rest of the installation. Just the server, nothing more. It was
much worse, the screen behaved erratically. I quickly deleted the new
server. I thought that I should make a full upgrade, rather than just
swap the server. Therefore, when installing Linux on the other machine,
I got hold of the Slackware 2.3, which contains XFree 3.1.1.
This time I metodically installed the whole X from this distribution.
When I started X, the screen was not workable. There were strange leftovers
on the screen, and every operation seemed to be very slow. The machine
was unstable. When I killed the server, I noticed many messages on the
virtual console, saying "BitBLT engine: Timeout error".

Then I removed XF 3.1.1, and reinstalled XF 3.1. Now the machine
is workable, everything seems to be fine, and (sure enough) xfm 0.5
hangs it exactly same way, as the first machine. It has to be cold-reset
after trying to select the "Tree" view.

Hope this story helps to pindown the problem.

Wojtek

PS: I will be out of town next two weeks, during which I will be
unable to answer e-mail. I hope the story above is sufficient to see
the problem.