Netscape3.01 Java Problem (not Bus Error/malloc one)

Netscape3.01 Java Problem (not Bus Error/malloc one)

Post by Robert Lync » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Looks like "the font problem"; see Peter van der Linden's Java FAQ:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~pvdl/javafaq.txt

Q 2.2; for your convenience I repost it here:
-----
2.2 Why do I get this when using JDK 1.1 under X Windows?
     java.lang.NullPointerException
         at sun.awt.motif.MFramePeer.<init>(MFramePeer.java:59)
         at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createFrame(MToolkit.java:153)
         at java.awt.Frame.addNotify(Frame.java)
         at java.awt.Window.pack(Window.java)

A.  There's a missing font on your system.  Move font.properties from
    the "lib" subdirectory aside to font.properties.bak   Then it won't
    look for the font and fail to find it.

    The problem occurs because the Motif AWT libraries use
    the Font "plain Dialog 12 point" as a fall-back default font.
    Unfortunately, when using a remote X server sometimes this font
isn't
    available.
----
The whole FAQ is worth perusing as well as Mr. van der Linden's
excellent book, "Just Java", now in its second edition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bob L.
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rm*/
--

http://www.six.de                Sielminger Str. 63

Post by Michael Ha » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,

: on my linux box (Slackware 3.0, XFree86 3.1.2, ATI graphics) any java applet
: refuses to run. I have tried the tips with older libraries (libc-5.2.18, even
: libc-5.0.9 and libXpm-4.6) and older ld.so (1.7.14) to no avail. Netscape does
: not crash, but the applets simply don't start.

Problem is solved. I did a 'mkfontdir' in each font directory of the X Server
and everything went smoothly. This tip was found in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc :-),
the problem is not Linux specific.

cu, Michael