> /var/log/XFree86.0.log has no EE errors. The last two lines are
> NVIDIA(0) AGP 4x successfully initialised
> NVIDIA(0) setting mode "1280x1024"
> This is the correct size setting for the LCD monitor.
> This hardware worked ok with MDK9.0 and the 4191 nvidia drivers.
> The 4363 drivers from Nvidia give the same crashes as 4349.
> I tried NvAGP options at 0 and 1, but the problem persists.
> Any suggestions of what else I could try?
a really strange one. Let me try to make a few suggestions
- in your XF86Config, try to set: Option "NvAgp" "0"
in the Device section. This will disable AGP support, thus, running the
card in PCI mode. Not that this is desireable, but if X then starts, it
would show that your problem is AGP related.
- if it is AGP related, try not to use the built-in AGP of the nvidia
drivers ("NVAGP"), but to use the agpgart module from your linux distro
instead. You can accomplish this by setting: Option "NvAgp" "2". From what
I can see in your log, the driver is currently using NVAGP. It may well be
that the earlier drivers have been using agpgart without you being aware of
it. (I didn't see your chipset in the list of supported chipsets in the
pdf file mentioned below!).
- to try if you have that agpgart module, and if it loads, do a "modprobe
agpgart" from a root command line (without X running) and check with
"lsmod". You should see "aggart" somewhere under 'Module', or else, it
will give you an error message back, saying either that it could not be
found or it has unresolved symbols, and fails.
- as it might also be display-related, try to turn off display device
detection by setting: Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV". Possible
values are "CRT", "DFP" and "TV". This option has been introduced to
resolve problem with long delay times during X starting - sometimes up to
several minutes (!). Maybe you have such an incident, and just *think*
your machine is frozen after a minute or so.
- there is a very good pdf manual on their linux driver website:
"NVLinuxWebNotes_4363.pdf", which is basically where I took most
suggestions from. It is a 'must have' for every nvidia user.
- this taken from my log (nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200), continuing from where
yours stops - maybe that could help to identify the problem as
(II) NVIDIA(0): AGP 4X successfully initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024" <-- yours ends here
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
(**) Mouse: Protocol: "imps/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(==) Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
and mine ends here with a running X server.
I hope some of this helps to get you back in business.