Netscape available for Linux? Where?

Post by Rajesh N. Malhotr » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Linux X'perts,

    Is Netscape 1.1 available for Linix? If so where could I download it
from? The Ntescape homw page does not seem to have a Linux port.

    If not Netscape, is there any ither browser that supports HTML 3.0

    Any help appreciated.

Thanx,

Raj.

Netscape available for Linux? Where?

Post by Bernt T. Hanse » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Linux X'perts,

>    Is Netscape 1.1 available for Linix? If so where could I download it
>from? The Ntescape homw page does not seem to have a Linux port.

Try netscape.com  There is a version for Linux in the netscape directory.
--
Bernt T. Hansen   NORANG Consulting Inc.  Voice (416)431-6216
                  235 Bellamy Road North  Fax   (416)431-2617

                  CANADA M1J 2L7

Post by fkal.. » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>Linux X'perts,

>>    Is Netscape 1.1 available for Linix? If so where could I download it
>>from? The Ntescape homw page does not seem to have a Linux port.

> Try netscape.com  There is a version for Linux in the netscape directory.
> --
> Bernt T. Hansen   NORANG Consulting Inc.  Voice (416)431-6216
>                   235 Bellamy Road North  Fax   (416)431-2617

>                   CANADA M1J 2L7

i attempted to get the server (not just browser) and found that it was not
ported to linux.  unfortunate, since as a student the server is free for the
asking.  it is ported to sun, bsdi, and others.

is there something i am missing, or am i correct that netscape does not port
it's server to linux?  am relegated to cern or ncsa if i use linux?

frank

Post by roo » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>: I had called Netscape Tech support some time back to ask about *buying* the
>: Linux browser.  Apparently (much to the chagrin of the poor tech support guy)
>: the Netscape developers don't think there is a market for Linux (or maybe
>: there are too many variables with a freely available OS like Linux, I dunno).

>: The Linux browser is unsupported by Netscape, so it doesn't suprise me that
>: the server hasn't been ported.
>if you are looking for netscape for linux, you can find it
>ftp://ftp.icon.net and probably several other places.

You can find it, and several other Unix flavors of Netscape, at Netscape's
ftp site: http://www.netscape.com!

I think there's some confusion here. There is no Netscape *server*. Netscape
is an http browser (client). It seeks a web server (usually httpd) on whatever
host it's aimed at.

--
40sbimonoglinuxgeek                                                        Mark
"Sex is an expression of self-esteem...and a celebration of existence"--A. Rand

Post by Grant Edwar » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I think there's some confusion here. There is no Netscape *server*.

Bullshit.  Netscape sells servers.  There's some confusion here, but it's
yours.

: Netscape is an http browser (client).

Netscape Navigator is the name of the web browser sold by Netscape.  Among
their other products are various typese of _servers_.

: It seeks a web server (usually httpd) on whatever host it's aimed at.

Check out the Netscape web page before making any more pronouncements about
what they do and don't make.

  http://home.netscape.com/

[Sheesh - do people just make up shit as they go?]

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  On SECOND thought,
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | maybe I'll heat up some BAKED

Post by Mark Nei » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: i attempted to get the server (not just browser) and found that it was not
: ported to linux.  unfortunate, since as a student the server is free for the
: asking.  it is ported to sun, bsdi, and others.
: is there something i am missing, or am i correct that netscape does not port
: it's server to linux?  am relegated to cern or ncsa if i use linux?

   Apparently so. Netscape is dropping Linux from their supported
platforms as of version 1.2
--
                                                --Mark

Post by Jos V » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>: i attempted to get the server (not just browser) and found that it was not
>: ported to linux.  unfortunate, since as a student the server is free for the
>: asking.  it is ported to sun, bsdi, and others.
>: is there something i am missing, or am i correct that netscape does not port
>: it's server to linux?  am relegated to cern or ncsa if i use linux?
>   Apparently so. Netscape is dropping Linux from their supported
>platforms as of version 1.2

No, Linux has never been a supported platform for their browser.
And version 1.2 has never been released for UNIX platforms.
According to Netscape, there will be a 2.0 version for Linux as usual.

About the server: no, I don't think there is a Linux port, neither
supported nor unsupported.  And yes, I would like them to officially
sell and support both the browser and the navigator on Linux, because
I think there is a need for it (the question is how many copies could
be sold).  More and more companies and ISP's are going to use Linux,
and they also have requirements concerning the server (although the
CERN WWW server works well, of course).

--

--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
--    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204

Post by John Burt » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

   >: I had called Netscape Tech support some time back to ask about *buying* the
   >: Linux browser.  Apparently (much to the chagrin of the poor tech support guy)
   >: the Netscape developers don't think there is a market for Linux (or maybe
   >: there are too many variables with a freely available OS like Linux, I dunno).
   >
   >: The Linux browser is unsupported by Netscape, so it doesn't suprise me that
   >: the server hasn't been ported.
   >if you are looking for netscape for linux, you can find it
   >ftp://ftp.icon.net and probably several other places.

   You can find it, and several other Unix flavors of Netscape, at Netscape's
   ftp site: http://www.netscape.com!

   I think there's some confusion here. There is no Netscape *server*. Netscape
   is an http browser (client). It seeks a web server (usually httpd) on whatever
   host it's aimed at.

Perhaps you are confused, but the rest of us aren't...The web "client"
is called "Netscape Navigator", there are (at least) 2 Netscape http
servers available, the "Netscape Commerce Server" and I'm not sure of
the name of the second...one is secure, the other is not...There are
no Netscape servers available for Linux, and the Netscape Navigator
available for Linux is not officially supported...

John
--
John Burton                      GATS, Inc.

(804) 865-7491 (voice)           (804) 865-1021 (fax)

Post by Brian S. Baue » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Perhaps you are confused, but the rest of us aren't...The web "client"
>is called "Netscape Navigator", there are (at least) 2 Netscape http
>servers available, the "Netscape Commerce Server" and I'm not sure of
>the name of the second...one is secure, the other is not...There are
>no Netscape servers available for Linux, and the Netscape Navigator
>available for Linux is not officially supported...

>John
>--
>John Burton                      GATS, Inc.

>(804) 865-7491 (voice)           (804) 865-1021 (fax)

The second NS server is the Netscape Communications Server.  I speak
regularly with the folks at NS, and one of my questions to them in the
early stages of our Web development was "will they be porting their
server stuff to Linux?"  (Then I was running NCSA on Linux, but I knew
that I was going to need the SSL they offered for Net commerce).  Well, I
was told by the NS rep that Marc Andreesen was very much opposed to
porting his server products to a free OS like Linux.

--
Brian S. Bauer
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Technologies

1. iWS aka Netscape Web Server is now available on Linux for Download!

Linux community:

The iPlanet Alliance (Netscape/Sun)  is pleased to announce the alpha
release of iPlanet Web Server Enterprise Edition (iWS)  for Linux.
New in iWS (formerly known as Netscape Enterprise Web Server); JSP 1.0,
Servlet 2.0, HTTP 1.1 and much more!
You may download the server from
http://www.iplanet.com/downloads/iwsonlinux
Please read the release notes and readme before installation.
You may submit feedback via the newsgroup:netscape.public.iws.linux
You may read about iWS and its features at
http://www.iplanet.com/products/infrastructure/web_servers/iws/index....

We are excited to be able to deliver this world class product to a world
class OS.

2. HELP! Linux broke WinNT and fdisk broke Linux!

3. FYI: X11R6.3 (Broadway) Netscape plug-in for Linux available

4. routing

5. Netscape communicator for Alpha Linux is now available from Compaq

6. Screen repeated 3 times - ATI Rage Pro 3D LT Dell Inspiron 7000

7. comp.os.linux groups available as WAIS db via Netscape, Mosaic, other clients.

8. Booting w/ Adaptec 1542C (SCSI)

9. iWS aka Netscape Web Server is now available on Linux for Download!

10. Netscape netcaster for Linux available ?

11. iWS aka Netscape Web Server is now available on Linux for Download!

12. UNIX/Linux Netscape Freezes Without DNS Available